Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone volume slider has disappeared

The volume slider on my iphone has disappeared and it wont play music from itunes, apps, videos or anything else I've tried. I have tried using the external volume controls on the side and its not on silent. I have also tried resetting a couple of times but this hasn't helped.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 9:19 AM

Haha I was dealing with the same problem today

The volume would only work when the headphones were plugged in

And as soon as i took them out, the volume control went missing o.o

So as it turned out, it's either that your 32pin port is clogged up with dirt

Or you've somehow got water on your device so that the it thinks its connected to the doc.

Just take a thin brush and slide it across the pin port to remove the dust

Then with your finger or a small object, press down lightly on the sides

Hopefully, your colume control shoould be back :)

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2012 9:19 AM in response to sam284

Haha I was dealing with the same problem today

The volume would only work when the headphones were plugged in

And as soon as i took them out, the volume control went missing o.o

So as it turned out, it's either that your 32pin port is clogged up with dirt

Or you've somehow got water on your device so that the it thinks its connected to the doc.

Just take a thin brush and slide it across the pin port to remove the dust

Then with your finger or a small object, press down lightly on the sides

Hopefully, your colume control shoould be back :)

Feb 13, 2012 6:58 AM in response to sam284

If you continue to have problems with any device, you can always plug it into your computer, open iTunes, and sync and backup and then press the "restore" button. Restore your iPhone from "2/13/12" or when ever the latest back up was. That usually fixes any glitch.

Another, possibly quicker solution would be to double click the home button, press and hold one of the apps until they start dancing, and then press the little red "close" button on all the apps to exit them.

Apr 30, 2012 3:25 AM in response to sam284

I had the same problem. My iPhone recognizes that it is connected to a music dock and the phone speaker won’t work.

It’s definitely a hardware problem APPLE could have solved by software. With that problem when using VIBER you can select the sound output either to music dock, earpiece, or phone speaker. APPLE just needed to implement the same in the phone SETTING.

So how to solve without APPLE support? (Getting APPLE support is best but in my case the nearest APPLE store is hundreds of kilometers from my residence, so not worth enough). First I cleaned the connector pins and put a silicon dust cap (with two tongues) which more or less squeezes the inner connector pins and the volume slider and sound was back. When I remove the cap for charging the volume slider and sound disappear again (not immediately but sooner or later).

Since whether connected to a music dock or not is recognized by the resistance between two pins on the connector, for me it seems that the cap made the resistance go to infinity which was close to the dock connection value without (why, I have no idea, the air moisture?).

May 1, 2012 9:38 PM in response to sam284

"dock connector" option issue means your iphone believes that the phone is still plugged into a device such as a computer or iphone dock. To solve the audio problem just connect your iphone to a computer and open itunes. Once your iphone finishes syncing you must PROPERLY disconnect your iphone from the computer. You have to find your phone listed on the left side of itunes and hit the eject button. This will properly end data communication between the iphone and computer. Now you can disconnect your iphone from the USB cable and play audio normal like before.

May 5, 2012 11:31 AM in response to sam284

After reading about this issue on the internet and trying several suggestions I took my iphone into the Genius Bar at Apple. They said that they have seen this issue and it is a hardware issue. The phone needs to be replaced but of course it is 13 months old so the warranty is no longer in effect. They said I am out of luck. I am surprised that Apple is not dealing with this when so many folks are experiencing the problem.

May 23, 2012 2:45 PM in response to sam284

I had the same problem and solved it by cleaning the dock connector on the bottom of the iPhone.

My method of cleaning is to take a commercial contact cleaner sold at Radio Shack and elsewhere called DeOxit, a spray which is very popular for older plated electronic contacts which have developed corrosion. I sprayed the DeOxit into a female dock connector and essentially filled the female connector with the fluid. I then pressed the female dock connector into the bottom of the phone to bring the dirty edge connector contacts of the phone into direct contact witn the cleaning solution. By rocking the connector back and forth a few times and inserting and removing it a few times, the corrosion / dirt on the iPhone edge connector was removed.

One application was enough, and the phone now works properly.

Hope this helps,

Larry

iphone volume slider has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.