Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BBC iPlayer app problems after 10.7.3 update

After upgrading to 10.7.3, the BBC iPlayer application will not play videos in full screen any longer, the sound still plays but the screen is just black. Videos continue to play correctly when the application is in normal window-ed mode.

This is on a 2009 Core2Duo MacBook Pro 5,2.

Anyone else seeing this? And, if so, any ideas for a solution? Maybe we just have to wait for BBC to update iPlayer.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 9:49 PM

33 replies

Feb 2, 2012 3:06 PM in response to geyien

I have the identical black fullscreen problem on a Mac Mini, 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 with HD Graphics 3000. I tried the following: created a new user and reproduced the problem, re-installed 10.7.3 with the Combo updater, re-installed iPlayer, Adobe Air, Flash with latest versions (no different from what I had it turned out). None of this helped, so I assume that 10.7.3 has introduced the problem.

Feb 3, 2012 10:30 AM in response to David Cross

I blame the BBC. Developers have access to pre-release versions of the operating system and to documentation that identifies correct usage and obsolete functions. It seems that BBC takes the easy route and just relies on Adobe's cross-platform tools. Had they used HTML5, it woudln't have broken in the first place.

I would be more than happy to try to fix the problem if someone would buy a plane ticket to London where the BBC Player will actually work on my machine.

Feb 4, 2012 6:10 AM in response to geyien

I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2011. I have just updated to 10.7.3 and am suffering with the same black screen playback using the BBC iplayer desktop on fullscreen.
I have contacted Apple support who have advised that it is a 3rd party app so not their problem.

Tried uninstalling both iplayer and adobe air then reinstalling both.
Problem still here.

BBC iPlayer app problems after 10.7.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.