1 2 3 Previous Next 202 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2012 7:19 AM by NicSpox
Yves M Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Since 10.7.3 update, I have to manually reconnect to my WiFi network at every Wakeup from sleep.

It  WILL  try to connect by itself, but it will quit trying after 6-8 seconds.

The WiFi icon in the menu bar will then remain gray until I click on it and manually choose my WiFi network.

It  DOES  reconnect automatically upon Restart, though.

My WiFi network comes from a third generation Time Capsule, with the most recent updates applied.

Had no such problem yesterday in 10.7.2.

YM

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
  • 1. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup
    Carlo TD Level 3 Level 3 (550 points)

Using Airport Utility 6.0 simply reset your router to default settings, then start over. I am sure it is that simple.

• 2. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup
    dhwalt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here but with WiFi from a Netgear DGND3700. Lion has had WiFi issues roughly as follows, on my 2010 iMac:

10.6.8 Snow Leopard - excellent

10.7 Lion - poor WiFi

10.7.1 Lion - poor WiFi

10.7.2 Lion - fixed WiFi

10.7.3 Lion - back to no WiFi following wakeup from sleep

On past history this thread could grow as users update to 10.7.3. I am hoping for a fix and it could be that we have to wait for 10.7.4!

Dave

• 3. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup
    Rick Bolton Level 4 Level 4 (1,125 points)

I also am experiencing the very same issue - although it happens ONLY on our i5 iMac (not on my i7 MBP nor on our i3 iMac).

What to do?

• 4. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup

Carlo TD

Well, I've just reset my TC Router to its default settings and, for the moment, my Time Capsule seems dead !

Upon restart, I get the green light for a second or two and then the steady yellow light for about 50 seconds (which I find normal).

But instead of getting the steady green light afterwards (at which point the WiFi connection normally gets alive), I get that yellow flashing light that will keep on flashing forever.

I've then tried hard resetting with a pencil at the tiny recessed knob at the rear of my TC, and the problen remains: the boot process still ends up with the same flashing yellow light.

Disconnecting / Reconnecting the Wan Ethernet cable didn't help neither.

Luckily, I have an old D-Link WiFi Router on hand. That's how I'm now back on the Internet to find a solution.

Any suggestion ?

YM

• 5. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup
    Carlo TD Level 3 Level 3 (550 points)

sure... how did you reset your TC? did you use a hard reset or a soft reset? If the soft reset does not work try the hard reset... dont forget it takes a moment to write the infomation change inside the router. let me know, I am availabe.

• 6. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup
    dhwalt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

For Rick,

Not a fix - a workaround requiring a download of SleepWatcher and dabbling with the Terminal:

Expand your download to the desktop.

Read the instructions.

Step by step:

Open Terminal and for a first time installation.

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/share/man/man8

sudo cp ~/Desktop/sleepwatcher_2.2/sleepwatcher /usr/local/sbin

sudo cp ~/Desktop/sleepwatcher_2.2/sleepwatcher.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8

echo '#!/bin/sh' >~/.sleep

echo '/usr/sbin/networksetup -setairportpower en1 off' >>~/.sleep

chmod +x ~/.sleep

echo '#!/bin/sh' >~/.wakeup

echo '/usr/sbin/networksetup -setairportpower en1 off' >>~/.wakeup

echo '/usr/sbin/networksetup -setairportpower en1 on' >>~/.wakeup

chmod +x ~/.wakeup

cp ~/Desktop/sleepwatcher_2.2/config/de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher-20compatibilit y-localuser.plist ~/Library/LaunchAgents/de.bernhard-baehr.sleepwatcher.plist

Posting may screwup the syntax so be careful and the last cp is all one line with a space between ...plist ~/Library...

Restart your machine to have the LaunchAgent do its thing. Your WiFi should restart after sleep - always.

Dave

• 7. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup

Carlo TD

You were right !

I didn't wait long enough after the hard reset.

Thanks for the help.

YM

• 8. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup

Dave - thanks for your detailed response.  There is developing news about the 10.7.3 "software update" download causing problems beyond this wifi one we are discussing here.

I think I am going to wait a bit before diving into the terminal workaround you outlined.  Every so often Apple simply blows these Airport updates and it takes some time for them to set things right.

• 9. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup

This problem is only impacting one of our Macs as previously mentioned.  So I wonder if the issue is related to 10.7.3 or AU 6.0 or something wonky with the install on our i5 iMac or .........?

• 10. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup

Continuing - OS 10.7.3 will not allow me to trash AU 6.0 (to revert to AU 5.6) - any ideas on how I might be able to trash AU 6.0?

• 11. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup
    Bob Timmons Level 9 Level 9 (78,645 points)

No need to trash 6.0. Just add 5.6.

You can have both on your Mac and simply choose the version that you want to use.

• 12. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup

Well - I decided to load the 10.7.3 COMBO over the "software update" to 10.7.3 I did yesterday - problem appears to be resolved - wifi connects from sleep after the combo download :-)

• 13. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup

Problem solved - I let it sleep for a longer period and wifi connects solidly after about 5 seconds !!

• 14. Re: 10.7.3 no wifi connection after wakeup
    LPRflyer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Well I installed via the software update. Thought all issues fixed but no.

When my imac wakes from sleep the network box is greyed and says no network. If I tick the remember net work box it connects but if it sleeps the same thing, or if I switch user or open the network box and and click my network it works.

How long has the world and their wife been trying to resolve this problem?

Should i install 10.7.3 again through the combo update?

Come on Apple this is pretty basic stuff, even my PC has never ever had this problem with any version of windows!

1 2 3 Previous Next