Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best replacement for iDVD

I just bought a new iMac and found out that iDVD has vanished. What's the best approch for making slide shows from iPhoto and burning to a DVD?

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:41 PM

23 replies

Feb 6, 2012 2:52 PM in response to golfeng

I read a similar post not long ago. Somebody mentioned Toast. Another person said if you have an older copy of iDVD from, say, a Snow Leopard age computer, it would still work.

Unfortunately Apple kind of jumped the gun on abandoning DVDs. Even if they are not going to use them anymore I still know older generation people who have a technology limit of "stick this in the DVD player slot and press the button with the arrow on it".

Feb 7, 2012 10:52 AM in response to golfeng

Yes, Apple dropped iDVD and iWeb from inclusion with Lion; however, they still sell the iLife 11 retail disk at the Apple store online (not the app store); there are also many online resellers who sell it. I've seen it for as little as $25 on Amazon. I purchased it because I use iDVD regularly and there is no substitute available which has the same capabilities (customizable themes/menus) and I wanted a way to reinstall if necessary. I also have Roxio Toast and although it has many features, its' few menu choices are too simplistic for me. I do use it for burning though.

The only comparable substitutes for iDVD would be professional applications for movie production companies (with an appropriate price).

I've sent feedback to Apple requesting they reconsider:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/idvd.html

What is the best replacement for iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.