Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2016 8:10 PM by Odinsdad
enemdee Level 1 (5 points)

After failed update  (OSX 10.7.3) I ended up doing a complete reinstall of OSX 10.7.2 and updated  iTunes. Tried to sync iPad but got the error message that it was synced to another computer (it's not) but I guessed this was due to the re-install of the operating system. When first connected I backed up and transferred new purchases. I recovered all the itunes media from the iPad with DiskAid and synced but the following message "...iPad cannot be synced. An unknown error occurred(-54) ." persisted to bounce up until I chose to ignore it and didn't click ok.Stopped bouncing but stayed fixed to the screen and the iPad synced anyway. What do I have to do to make this go away permanantly?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.0.1
  • enemdee Level 1 (5 points)

Same error with the iphone connected.

Afer a COMPLETE deletion of iTunes followed by another fresh install I still received the error message so figured there must have been something wrong within the iPad & iPhone (I had used TouchCopy for the first time to retrieve the information etc from both) SO with DiskAid I deleted the iTunesPrefs and iTunesPrefs.plist via the Media/iTunes and the irritatating error went away. I had to do a restore from a previous backup and have resynced everything and it seems to all be working as it should. It all went belly up with the Software Update OSX 10.7.31!

None of what I did may have been correct but it worked for me.

• montana26 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for this information, it was exactly my problem (on iPhone 4, 4s and iPad2), after restoring all went well, the error -54 did not come up again. And I also used TouchCopy just before the error -54 story began...!

• montana26 Level 1 (0 points)

Did you use TouchCopy anymore since then???

No I haven't used TouchCopy since as I have restored my MacBook with a clean install of 10.7.2 and got all my media back into iTunes and re-synced both iPad & iPhone sucessfully since (with no more error messages). I prefer using DiskAid and will delete TouchCopy from my Applications. Thank you for your comment.

• kroup Level 1 (0 points)

i tried using touch copy and now i have this same problem

you mention above that you deleted itunesPrefs and itunesPrefs.plist

how do you do that? where do i go to do that?

Using DiskAid (or PhoneDisk which is similar) you can access the files/folders on your ipod/iphone/ipad. Folder→ Media→iTunes→  iTunesPrefs and iTunesPrefs.plist. I deleted both these files and then restarted itunes, reconnected both my phone and later ipad and resynched them without any errors appearing and have done so a few times since.

sorry for being a dumb *** but i dont see anywhere were i can access those files/folders

iam using a trial version of Disk Aid is that why i cant see those files/folders?

i dont want to pay $25 for DiskAid just to solve this problem.

i can access the music,movies and pictures on my ipad but i cant find folder-media-itunes

anywhere.

I went back and had a look. Opened Disk Aid and connected iPad. Showed me File System → Media→ iTunes Control→ iTunes→ iTunesPrefs and iTunesPrefs.plist. Also had checked  Display all Apps... Show Root Path...Show Hiiden Files and Folders in the Preferences Advanced in DiskAid.(My copy isn't registered but I have access to Preferences when I turn Wi-Fi off).

i found it and it worked, thank you.

• jogh Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you Enemdee.  This worked for me too.  I was getting so frustrated.  I'm finding iOS and Mac OS to be more and more buggy by the week.  Considering a move back to windows and a Nokia 6110!

• puneetarora82 Level 1 (0 points)

I have tried deleting iTunesPrefs and iTunesPrefs.plist files through DiskAid.

Reset Warning and Cache.

Export and Import Library, but still i am getting same error message.

"Attempting to copy disk "IPhone" failed. An unknown error occured (-54)"

Kindly help me, i am not able to put any songs in my Iphone.

• @Mashiat Level 1 (0 points)

Thank u so much dude!! m rily gr8ful 2 u coz u have solved ma problem !!! luv ya if there is anything i can do to help u plz let me know THANKS

• puneetarora82 Level 1 (0 points)

@Mashiat

Can you please tell me what you have done to solve this error.

Previous 1 2 Next