Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple looking for iPhone 5 testers: Scam?

I just got a text from a (718) phone number to my iPhone 4S, which says,

"The first 1000 users that go to http://superhotcellular.com and enter this code will get to test and keep a new iPhone 5.

I went to the webpage on my laptop, but didn't type in the code they'd sent me. It certainly didn't look like anything from Apple, and of course I'm 99% convinced this is not how they'd go about testing out a new product. Just wondering if anybody else has received the same message, or if there are any Apple representatives out there who might add any information.

Thanks -- NICK

iPhone 4S

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 3:07 PM

18 replies

Feb 12, 2012 9:25 PM in response to NicktheEditor

I believe I may have received a virus via text message. I'll admit that I stupidly clicked on a link sent to me through a text message and entered the promo code that was also included in that message. I realized what I was potentially doing immediately after hitting "submit" and went into panic mode. I turned airplane mode on and then cleared my history and cookies/date - thankfully I "never" accept cookies and I have private browsing turned ON. Has anyone else encountered something like this? Is there anything I can do to find out if I do in fact have a virus of some sort on my iPhone? If I do have a virus, is there anything I can do myself to remove it? Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Apple looking for iPhone 5 testers: Scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.