Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovered messages replicating same email over and over

alright, earlier this morning i posted this problem to the forums, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3733927. i have since downloaded Disk Inventory x and saw 50+ gb in what were recovered messages from an email i sent to myself containing a .PSD that did not send. Also explains the problem with my email as well. That particular problem has been fixed and i've gotten my space back from deleting that huge file. However i now have a new issue. The issue is that, that small (10mb) email is now replicating itself even though i've deleted both the email and the sent file.

by replicating i mean it is creating multiple (and by multiple i mean 170+) files in the realm of 200mb per file. that explains the 50 gb of lost space.

That being said, i've now deleted the entire recovered message folder too but the replicated message still shows up and replicates itself once more.

i'm wondering if there is any way to stop this, it's driving me batty.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.66 GHz ,i7, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 4:36 PM

11 replies

Feb 27, 2012 4:28 PM in response to jason Dichter

I had this problem for a week. The answers I got here didn't work. For anyone else looking, here is the solution that finally worked. My son found it via a Goolge search:

Best answer - Sarah (Google Employee) Go to this answer

chessop

Please follow below steps.

1.Take your gmail account offline from Mail and delete the recovered messages folder.

2. Download the widget to show the hidden files fromhttp://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/hiddenfiles.html

3. Go to UserName/Library/Mail/IMAP-<username>@domain.tld@imap.domain.tld/.OfflineCache

4. Delete all the data under .OfflineCache folder - DO NOT DELETE the folder.

5. Close Mail application and reopen.

This should do the job.

Best regards,

Aadi

338 of 359 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse

See the answer in context

Jun 30, 2012 11:32 AM in response to MacGunt

MacGunt

Thank you so much! I took my mail account off line and deleted the recovered message folder. I then opened up omnisweeper and found the IMAP file you referred to. I deleted that and I now have mail showing up in my inbox again and the offending message and folder have not reappeared. So cool. Life saver.

Jul 9, 2012 2:53 AM in response to do i have to

I seem to have this same problem eating up all of my hard drive space, but I can't find the recovered messages folder at all. In fact, under users in my finder, I don't even have a library folder. I have a Library folder under my hard drive, but no mail folder there. Any help is appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Jul 9, 2012 8:34 AM in response to N2S

N2S

Download freeware omnisweeper, be sure to take mail offline first and then delete the recovered message and folder while it is offline. Use omnisweekper to check your hard drive. In the left had column all the key files will open up, rank ordered by size. You have a library file there with your name or the name you have used for your profile - keep opening up the folders (colums move from left to right as you drill down into your personal file) in the library file with your name on it until you locate the file with the IMAP you need to delete. Once you locate the offending file (you can click on it and it will open up so you can prove to yourself you have the dumb file), delete in omnisweeper versus move to trash. I tried trash first but it was taking too long and storage is tied up until the deletes are done. I had been deleteing the recovered msg folder for weeks so I had a lot of different files to delete = released 150 gb.

btw... the fix was good. I had been wrestling with the issue for a month and in a few minutes it was done. Good luck! 😎

Gail.

recovered messages replicating same email over and over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.