Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relink event clips and Incompatible file error

I'm so thankful for FCPX 10.0.3 adding the relink ability to events, and I decided to put it to the test today with an updated music score.

Bad idea to do that on a project that was a day away from completion.

After relinking the 1 file that had been updated, 80% of my 1500 clips in the event library went offline. FCPX also renamed those clips in the event library directory with (fcp1) in the end of the filename.

I can manually relink most of those files, but about 15% of them I get an error when selecting relink.User uploaded file

I am reconnecting the file to the exact same file it was connected to in the first place, so I know that the audio source and channel counts haven't changed.

The original clips, by the way, were not copied to the final cut event library but referenced or aliased to a network drive where they are stored.

Below is the screenshot of the FCPX inspector for the missing clip, overlayed with a Quicktime inspector window with the original clip's info. As you can see, they are both 2 channel, 48khz, AAC audio. Nothing has changed. But FCPX won't let me relink it!

User uploaded file

Help? Does anyone have any idea how to force FCPX to relink to the file?

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2017 6:40 AM

QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ANY RE-LINKING ISSUES

it's not a real "force re-link" and I don't know if it has already been mentioned BUT here is my little trick to deal with occasional errors like these: FCP X (after version 10.2 at least) imports any media as kind of a timeline. You can always right click on your files in the browser and choose "open clip" (name convention in 10.3+ which used to be "open in timeline" before).

From there you can basically add and remove anything you want, swap the audio for example or the picture or both for that matter. You could also stick subtitles or graphics and titles to it which would always stay with the video that way.

Regarding a force re-link all you have to do is dropping your new file in there and overriding the old one - of course it needs to have the same specs in terms of frame rate and sync but format or channel config do not matter. Works for me every time.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2017 6:40 AM in response to mzungmedia

QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ANY RE-LINKING ISSUES

it's not a real "force re-link" and I don't know if it has already been mentioned BUT here is my little trick to deal with occasional errors like these: FCP X (after version 10.2 at least) imports any media as kind of a timeline. You can always right click on your files in the browser and choose "open clip" (name convention in 10.3+ which used to be "open in timeline" before).

From there you can basically add and remove anything you want, swap the audio for example or the picture or both for that matter. You could also stick subtitles or graphics and titles to it which would always stay with the video that way.

Regarding a force re-link all you have to do is dropping your new file in there and overriding the old one - of course it needs to have the same specs in terms of frame rate and sync but format or channel config do not matter. Works for me every time.

Apr 23, 2012 11:56 PM in response to mzungmedia

Clarifying my orginial post, I had NOT created proxy or optimized media. The media had never moved nor was transcoded. It was all AVCHD.

Here's how I fixed my problem: I copied my Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects folders to an external hard drive and plugged it into another computer. Then I was able to reconnect properly, bring the files back to my computer and continue editing.

I looked at the difference between the 2 computers, and realized the computer I had issues on had Final Cut Studio 7 on it in addition to FCPX, whereas the other computer did not.

So, I chalked the "bug" up to the strangeness you can encounter if you don't remove FCS before install FCPX.

Feb 7, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Having the same problem. Had a lot of clips go offline that it won't relink because they're "incompatible." Some clips just showed up as black video, and also wouldn't relink (the program just say there and didn't even provide an error to work with).

I've read a whole bunch of users posting this problem, same response every time from the Appleheads:

"It must be your fault, lowly user! Figure out what you did wrong and fix it."

Mar 4, 2013 3:07 PM in response to mzungmedia

I had that problem today while copying a FCX project from another computer, I struggled a little; but at the end I finally made it...
It's reather simple...
First of all locate all your original files in the Finder.
Then, in Final Cut X, delete all the missing videos from your event, in event browser (cmd+a & cmnd+delete) NOT THE EVENT ONLY THE VIDEOS, it will warn you something I don't remember, you just hit ok...

Then in the event you have the funny icons "Import Files" & "Import from Camera", hit the "Import Files" logo, and import all your original files that you previouslly located in the Finder.

Finally you select all your "missing" videos in your TIMELINE and then you go to "File", "Relink Project Files", and then "Locate All..." Now you just have to find the "Original Media" folder (normally: User/Movies/Final Cut Events/"Event Name"/Original Media) So now that you have the "Original Media" folder selected just click "Choose" and let FCX analize it and voilá! You're good to go!

If you need screen captures let me know.
Cheers!

Mar 4, 2013 3:09 PM in response to Mephisto Productions

had that problem today while copying a FCX project from another computer, I struggled a little; but at the end I finally made it...
It's reather simple...
First of all locate all your original files in the Finder.
Then, in Final Cut X, delete all the missing videos from your event, in event browser (cmd+a & cmnd+delete) NOT THE EVENT ONLY THE VIDEOS, it will warn you something I don't remember, you just hit ok...

Then in the event you have the funny icons "Import Files" & "Import from Camera", hit the "Import Files" logo, and import all your original files that you previouslly located in the Finder.

Finally you select all your "missing" videos in your TIMELINE and then you go to "File", "Relink Project Files", and then "Locate All..." Now you just have to find the "Original Media" folder (normally: User/Movies/Final Cut Events/"Event Name"/Original Media) So now that you have the "Original Media" folder selected just click "Choose" and let FCX analize it and voilá! You're good to go!

If you need screen captures let me know.
Cheers!

Relink event clips and Incompatible file error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.