Since iDVD is no longer offered by Apple as part of the "iLife package" that comes with new Macs running Lion OS X (10.7.x) I was searching for info about custom installing iDVD from an iLife '09 package . I stumbled across a few threads (including this one) but none that I found clearly outlined how to do it so I thought I'd add this post for folks that follow
The iLife '09 package contains iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Garageband. If you want iDVD you'll need to buy a copy of iLife '09 or a Mac Box Set which includes OS X 10.6, iWork '09 and iLife '09 to get it.
I wanted to install iDVD '09 while avoiding conflicts with iMovie '11, iPhoto '11 and Garageband '11 (and I didn't have use for iWeb '09 since it's no longer supported).
To custom install iDVD '09 from an iLife '09 package disc...
- Be sure that iPhoto '11, iMovie '11 and Garageband '11 are already installed (available from the Mac App Store if needed).
- Insert the iLife '09 disc, click "Continue" and for each item in the left-hand menu including "Introduction", "Read Me", "License" and Destination".
- Let it run the initial application search to determine which applications to install. (This will allow it to find the newer installations of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband.)
- Click "Continue" until you reach the "Installation Type".
- Click on the "Customize" button.
- On the next screen select iDVD. (iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband were appropriately greyed out since they were already installed.)
- After you've selected iDVD click "Continue" and let it finish.
iDVD installed on my late 2008 iMac and my late 2010 Macbook Air, both running Lion OS X 10.7.3 and works as expected.
Hope this helps anyone that follows!