Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD on Lion OS X - Custom Install iLife '09

Since iDVD is no longer offered by Apple as part of the "iLife package" that comes with new Macs running Lion OS X (10.7.x) I was searching for info about custom installing iDVD from an iLife '09 package . I stumbled across a few threads (including this one) but none that I found clearly outlined how to do it so I thought I'd add this post for folks that follow

The iLife '09 package contains iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Garageband. If you want iDVD you'll need to buy a copy of iLife '09 or a Mac Box Set which includes OS X 10.6, iWork '09 and iLife '09 to get it.

I wanted to install iDVD '09 while avoiding conflicts with iMovie '11, iPhoto '11 and Garageband '11 (and I didn't have use for iWeb '09 since it's no longer supported).

To custom install iDVD '09 from an iLife '09 package disc...

- Be sure that iPhoto '11, iMovie '11 and Garageband '11 are already installed (available from the Mac App Store if needed).

- Insert the iLife '09 disc, click "Continue" and for each item in the left-hand menu including "Introduction", "Read Me", "License" and Destination".

- Let it run the initial application search to determine which applications to install. (This will allow it to find the newer installations of iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband.)

- Click "Continue" until you reach the "Installation Type".

- Click on the "Customize" button.

- On the next screen select iDVD. (iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband were appropriately greyed out since they were already installed.)

- After you've selected iDVD click "Continue" and let it finish.

iDVD installed on my late 2008 iMac and my late 2010 Macbook Air, both running Lion OS X 10.7.3 and works as expected.

🙂 Hope this helps anyone that follows!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 2:02 PM

42 replies

Feb 15, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007 wrote:

From what I've read on these forums if you buy iLife 11 as a DVD, Not Download, you get iDVD ?11?.

That's what I thought as well...and it may be possible, but I couldn't track anything definitive down.

An iLife '11 disc isn't available from Apple that I know of. Amazon offers an "Old Version" of iLife '11 but there's no mention of iDVD.

Apple doesn't mention iDVD on the main iLife page either. However they do mention it on the iLife '11 iDVD page. ??? When you click on "iLife '11" it takes you to the Mac App Store where iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband are individually sold...but no iDVD. So I may be missing something.

My late 2010 Macbook Air came with iLife '11, but not with iDVD. I've also read on forums that if you do a fresh install of OS X 10.7.x on a Mac that came with iLife '11 that you can contact Apple and somehow get iDVD. I've also read other posts that say that you can't. Very confusing. Perhaps someone will come along with a clear answer.

In any case, I wanted iDVD on my late 2008 iMac (which of course didn't come with Lion), so installing it from my iLife '09 disc did the trick.

Feb 15, 2012 3:25 PM in response to richsadams

According to another member, iDVD (and iWeb) are available on the iLife '11 disc version MC623Z (not the version available from Amazon). More here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3336026?answerId=17604590022#17604590022

I know the iLife '09 disc includes iDVD, but if you if can track down an iLife '11 version MC623Z disc that may work as well. (Thanks Pete!)

Feb 22, 2012 11:09 AM in response to richsadams

Thanks for all your posts on this subject. Just bought a new iMac intel Core i5 with OS X Lion 10.7.3 and so appreciate all the info on what to do to burn iMovie projects since iDVD is no longer on Lion. I was really very upset and ready to take my computer back since I have only had it a week. Then I immediately read all your comments on Apple Support to find out what was going on. I called and talked with an "Apple Care Apps Supervsion". He said to get a Retail disk of iLife 08, 09, or 11 and just install the iDVD. I had iDVD 6.0.4 on my old Tiger system and that was transferred over when the Apple store did a tranfer of my files to the new computer. It is in my Applications, but when I click on it, it says " You can't use this version of the application iDVD.app with this version of Mac OS X"I asked the "Supervisor " what was the latest version of iDVD that would run on my new computer and he said iDVD v. 7.

I have found that at an excellent retail store in my area that has a retail copy of iLife 09 with iDVD 7. His iLife11 retail disk didn't have iDVD on it. So your post will be helpful. They also had Toast that I could buy, but I think iDVD 7 will be the best solution. I have been making movies for years and am used to putting into iMove HD and then to iDVD to burn I hope the export / share and burn dvd process works like I am used to. I plan to get an HD camera some day and I hope these are all record and burn in HD.....

Any suggestions before I buy it today?????

Thanks,

b

Feb 22, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Betteca

Sounds like you've gotten iDVD all sorted. The iLife '09 copy of iDVD should be just fine as that's what I'm using with Lion OS X 10.7.3 without any issues. I don't think you need to worry about uninstalling the current version other than dragging the app to the trash and then installing iDVD from the disc. I generally use Disk Utility to run a permissions repair after I remove and after I install applications. I don't know that it's necessary but it seems to sort a few things out now and then.

I use a variety of HD video sources/cameras with iMovie and Final Cut Express 4 and all end up working fine with iDVD.

Enjoy that new iMac (I'm slightly jealous as mine is getting slightly long in the tooth) and have fun movie-making!

Feb 22, 2012 1:05 PM in response to Betteca

Just to add, iLife 11 had iDVD included up until recently but it was version 7 the same as in iLife 09. They have recently dropped it from the retail boxed version on iLife 11 for some reason so don't get caught on buying the very latest discs. Just read the product first. I use iDVD a Loy but also use Toast more as I find it a better overall general burner.

Pete

Feb 22, 2012 2:27 PM in response to petermac87

petermac87 wrote:

Just to add, iLife 11 had iDVD included up until recently but it was version 7 the same as in iLife 09. They have recently dropped it from the retail boxed version on iLife 11 for some reason so don't get caught on buying the very latest discs. Just read the product first. I use iDVD a Loy but also use Toast more as I find it a better overall general burner.

Pete

Exactly...as I noted above...there are some iLife '11 discs that include it, some don't. Very confusing but if you wanted the rest of the iLife '11 suite it might be worth tracking down the specific package (MC623Z). Otherwise iLife '09 should be fine.

I do wish they'd begin supporting iDVD again. Althought DVD's are destined to go the way of the 8 track one of these days, there are still a lot of folks that find them convenient and useful. Doubt that will happen, but it would be nice.

Feb 22, 2012 2:30 PM in response to richsadams

The retail iLife 11 definitely includes iDVD (v. 7.x) - I know because I purchased one. It is no longer available from the Apple store; however, there are plenty of resellers who still have it in stock; one of them is Amazon. No idea why they are now calling it the "old" version, possibly because the three included apps in Lion now constitute the "new" iLife??

As long as it says iLife 11 and looks like this, it includes iDVD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Apple-iLife-11-iPhoto-iMovie-11-GarageBand-11-iDVD-a nd-iWeb-Full-Version-/170786209526?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its %3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D390341831776 %26ps%3D54

Feb 22, 2012 2:31 PM in response to richsadams

richsadams wrote:

I do wish they'd either begin supporting iDVD again. Althought DVD's are destined to go the way of the 8 track one of these days, there are still a lot of folks that find them convenient and useful. Doubt that will happen, but it would be nice.

I believe it all boils down to doing away with support for optical media in the future, as we see already with Lion and all Aps being downloaded directly from the App store and not including CD/DVD drives in MacAirs. Sign of the future I suppose, but I'm still one who enjoys making and watching DVDs so I will be hanging in until my lifeline is finally cut. But then again, I miss Cassettes as well!! lol

Pete

iDVD on Lion OS X - Custom Install iLife '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.