Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a power pc and trying to install snowleopard however i get a cant create image error -61 .. Please help

I go into the disk utlitity and all that is in there is the cd rom & the disc itself that shows up on the left side.. i try to create a new image and it defaults the size to 17 and whenever i try and create it i get cant create disk error -61.. how can i fix this and start with a clean install from the beginning

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 3:59 AM

45 replies

Feb 17, 2012 11:49 AM in response to Calgarystar

Let's step back and git the story down first and then see where to go.

This is an iSight G5 iMac that you are working on.

1. You upgraded the memory to how much?

2. You installed a new hard drive - what kind and what capacity?

3. What operating system was on when you started trying to do an install of Snow Leopard? Do you have the install disks for that oprating system? Was it 10.4 or 10.5?

With that information we can work through one problem at a time.

Feb 17, 2012 11:59 AM in response to Calgarystar

1.. i dont know but apple store did it and told me it was enough to run snow leopard

2. it was 500 gb hard drive now

3. I believe it was 10.5 on there before but when i originally installed snow leopard i wipe it clean but apparently there was stil some errors on the drive cause it didnt install cleanly ... i did a verify disk and repair and restarted the machine and now there is no drive at all other then the cd rom /dvd and the disc itself that show up on the left side.. i tried creating a new image but that is when i get the cant create error -61

Feb 17, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Calgarystar

Hi, we need to find out more info for sure on this Mac.

If you don't know the model, find the Serial# & use it on one of these sites, but don't post the Serial# here...

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

How to find the serial number of your Apple hardware product...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1349

Feb 17, 2012 12:10 PM in response to Calgarystar

I think we are all having trouble figuring out what wxactly you are doing or trying to accomplish.

Whatever you are trying to do or install, a G5 iMac is a PowerPC G5 CPU Mac.

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will only install and run on much newer Macs that use Intel NOT PowerPC CPU chips. Snow Leopard WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR iMac!

The disc shouldn't have let you install anything as there are checks the system CD/DVD looks for before beginning an OS X system install.If Snow Leopard disc, the first thing it checks is whether or not the Mac, in question, has an Intel CPU chip.

Are you sure these are Snow Leopard Discs and not just Leopard discs?

OS X Leopard is 10.5 NOT 10.6.

Are these grey discs or "Official" Black Apple retail system install DVD disc?

Gray colored discs will not work. Grey colored dics are the original computer specific discs that came with the computer when purchased. They do not work with other Macs.

Did you receive any other gray colored discs that say would say iMac G5 or something similar with this Mac?

If yes, you could try and see if that disc will install on your G5 and you would be able to tell us what OS X version it installed. The disc might even say what OS is on the disc.

If you did not recieve an OS X 10.5 disc to re-install OS X 10.5,

You will need to find/purchase an "official" black OS X 10.5 Leopard DVD to install an operating system onto your Mac.

Try to make clearer what you are trying to do and we may be able to give you more informed help.

Message was edited by: MichelPM

Feb 17, 2012 12:09 PM in response to Calgarystar

If you read my tip 2455 link above, it says, you need to read the EMC# off the base of your machine's foot. It will tell you if you have an Intel or a G5. If it is a G5 then no Snow Leopard for you. If it is an Intel, then it is not a G5. The early Intels looked identical on the outside to the G5s, which is why you must read off the foot, or Apple menu -> About This Mac.

Feb 17, 2012 12:17 PM in response to Calgarystar

You said insight, but I will assume you meant iSight; there were two isight G5 iMacs made in 2005, both designated PowerMac12,1. One was 17" the other 20". The 17" had a 1.9 GHz G5, the 20" a 2.1 Gz G5 processor. Both can accept up to 2.5 GB ram.

If that is the machine you are working with, you cannot install Snow Leopard as it does not have an Intel processor.

If you have the Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5 install disk, you need to insert the install disk in the optical drive, and restart the machine while holding down the letter C key. You can then proceed to install the operating system on the hard drive.

I have a power pc and trying to install snowleopard however i get a cant create image error -61 .. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.