Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iMac get so hot?

Thank you for any help in advance. The back of my iMac gets so very hot at the top. It is almost too hot to keep my hand on for any length of time. Is this normal or do I have some problem please?

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 4:26 AM

If mine is working hard like gaming or video converting for a while it gets pretty hot

but not during normal usage

22 replies

Feb 18, 2012 3:10 PM in response to BGreg

Thank you for your help and quick response to my issue.

The iMac is 21.5" below are the readings from iSat Pro and my iMac specs. I use it for graphics and photographs constantly. The iMac is 10months old.

User uploaded file

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.64f5

Serial Number (system): W81071VRDAS

Hardware UUID: 34025A54-3740-57DC-A361-9D8933179843

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2012 7:55 PM in response to BGreg

The system was working. I had been working in PS Aperture and Browsing with Google for a few hours in the specs previously uploaded.

Here are the idleing specs. Just woken mac from display and computer sleep had various apps open in dock.

User uploaded file

Sorry I cropped the the FANS reading off the one above. The below one was taken 10 mins after above just working in browser. PS Aperture FW open in dock but not on screen.

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2012 8:04 PM in response to Rudegar

Hate to say it (Apple sure won't) but I personally know two people whose iMacs had to be fixed/replaced due to thermal failure - motherboards having to be completely replaced. I was so wanting to get an iMac until I learned about these serious overheating issues. This is unlikely to occur if under basic operation like surfing the net, etc... However, heavy gaming, video or audio editing is an ify propostion, so I've been told. Nonetheless, I'm still looking into getting a new Mac, possibly a Mini, to replace my 08 Macbook so I can get into more serious music recording. Can't justify spending $2K on Macbook Pro.

May 21, 2012 7:48 PM in response to joanell

I downloaded istat pro. The ambient temperature in my house right now is about 78 F. I'm just playing on facebook -- nothing taxing. istat pro says the cpu temperature for my MacBookPro (purchased in December 2011) is 175F! No wonder my computer burns my hands when I move it from one place to another. What can I do about this? Is it normal?

May 29, 2012 9:34 PM in response to joanell

From what I've gathered (I have a 27" iMac)....the iMac's case or "housing" is one big ol' piece of milled aluminum unlike most other desktops and "All In One PC's" (made by Dell, HP etc.) who's cases are mostly made from plastic. The iMac's aluminum case isn't just that way to be pretty, It has a purpose. The housing is the "heat sink" for the machine. Most modern "PC" users will never come in contact with the machines "Heat Sinks" because they are inside the plastic case and use very loud fans to cool those "sinks". Just know that Apple has put it's iMacs thru heating cycles by load that you'll probably never experience. Just make sure that its vents and intakes are clear and clean and you'll be just fine.

Why does my iMac get so hot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.