Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does opening Photoshop open automator or script editor?

Classic seems to be working, but I can not open Photoshop.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 7:23 PM

18 replies

Feb 20, 2012 10:28 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for responding.

The way the system was set up I could open Photoshop while in OSX because Classic was running. But somehow that got messed up. Don't know how.

Then, for a while I was able to open Photoshop by going to the OS9 harddrive icon and click on a folder within Photoshop, get a message saying something to the effect that this program hasn't been opened before, and would I like to open it? So I would click yes, and the program would open.

Now, that trick doesn't work and to get into Photoshop I have to restart the computer with OS9 as the start up disk. That becomes very inconvenient when I want to print the file, as then I have to restart the computer in OSX.

What do you think?

Feb 20, 2012 10:56 PM in response to rozchatt

Hmmm, when you go to System Preferences>Classic, does it sho the OS9 folder?

In the advanced tab does it start if you choose Disable extensions or Open Extension Manager?

I have a feeling it's one of these files...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Classic Menu.plist

/Desktop/Desk2/MovedRockstor/ByHost/com.apple.Classic.000393c1add2.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Classic Menu.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Classic.plist

Feb 21, 2012 12:23 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes, when I go to System Preferences>Classic it does show the OS9 folder. Also when I go into OS9 I was also able to locate "Classic Preferences" -- deleted that and rebuilt the desktop, but it didn't fix the problem. Every time I try to open Photoshop I get the Script Editor or some other automator program, and Photoshop won't open.

It's been so long since I messed with the Extension manager in OS9 that I've forgotten all the details about the various sets of extensions. -- But when I attempt to start Classic with the Open Extensions Manager option, it freezes and the extension "Display enabler" is highlighted. This is regardless which extension set I choose. When I hit Continue it finishes opening Classic.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2012 10:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Wow,

That worked. Do you think you can explain why to me?

Honestly, that was a kind of existential experience for me... like a new identity. But then I realized all my bookmarks and preferences are on the other account. Should I switch everything over or just leave that alone for when I want to do my art stuff?

Does this give you a clue on how to fix the original problem?

Thank you -- you've been incredibly generous, absolutely amazing!

Feb 21, 2012 2:33 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, the same thing happens with both accounts. Either Classic opens with extensions off, or if I start with the Extension Manager open I have a choice of various sets but Classic freezes and then I have to click Continue, and then it opens, regardless of the set. Maybe that's how it's supposed to work. I don't know.

The thing that bugs me is that Appleworks starts up fine, it's just Photoshop that launches the Automator or Script Editor, etc. I even tried trashing the Script Editor when it was opening that first, and it went on to open Automator.

I tried trashing the preferences for Apple Script, Script Editor, Automator -- didn't make any difference.

Finally, no -- I don't have a back up for OS 9 system -- can I just drag that to a flash drive?

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2012 2:49 PM in response to rozchatt

PS -- Something else showed up which is a little fishy -- when I tried to save preferences for Photoshop in the 2nd account it won't allow me because it says there is a preference file for Photoshop somewhere else. But I haven't located it. But that might be another matter.

The trouble is that all my iPhoto files, bookmarks, etc. are on one account and photoshop works on the other. I am hoping we (you) can figure this out. 😊

why does opening Photoshop open automator or script editor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.