Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The sound on my Macbook Pro does not work.

The sound on my Macbook Pro does not work. When we press the volume buttons, the sound icon pops up, but the bar is full with a small "Does not work" circle below it, and nothing happens when I hit volume up or done. I went into system preferences, but there aren't any options there that I can see to change it.

iMac

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 3:06 PM

Check to see if headphones work.

Follow http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1574.

17 replies

Feb 25, 2012 4:51 PM in response to Zyriab

Thanks for the reply. The head phones do work. The Speaker icon is not grayed out, but when i click on it or option-click on it, the only thing I get is the volume slider, but it won't move. In the system preferences, it says there are no options for this device. There isn't a redlight, or any light, in the headphone socket.

Feb 25, 2012 9:58 PM in response to MikeTexas

"Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any help for a MacBook Pro, other than indicating to call Apple Support" (sic).

Au contraire. TS1574's title and affected products are thusly:

"Troubleshooting issues with no audio from built-in speakers on Macs

Products Affected Mac mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac"

As a result, the instructions of the article are relevant. To be sure, follow those steps, the last of which is to contact Apple.

So, by way of reminder, here are the steps to troubleshoot the audio on your MacBook Pro. There is no red light, so the port is likely fine. Headphones work, so clearly your sound card is fine.

1. Ensure an incorrect version of OS X is not installed. If one is, then reinstall or erase/install after backing up your data.

2. Remove any external audio devices from USB, firewire, etc.

3. Open Sys Prefs > Sound > Output

If Internal Speakers is listed, select it and test again.

If Digital Out is listed, confirm again that all external audio devices and cables have been removed.

If mute is selected, unselect it.

If the volume slider is low, raise the volume.

If the above simply doesn't fix it, the issue may be a corrupted plist. Apple Support might be able to help troubleshoot the issue further, per the last step of TS1574.

I hope it gets resolved for you. Good luck.

Jul 26, 2012 5:30 PM in response to xtineK

Im having this same issue-

Once I connect the 3.5 Audio device to my Mac Book Pro to the TV; On the Mac I have a "Caution" sign. It's been working fine until today.

While watching my powerpoint on the TV the volume had gone away & when I tried to switch the volume I have the "Caution" symbol & the volume control will not go up or down.

Once I unhook the device the volume work fine on the Mac- I have no clue howo to resolve this issue. I seen a Forum that stated shut down the Mac & hold Option, Command, P & R however; this did not resolve my issue

Jan 25, 2014 12:36 AM in response to MikeTexas

i just encountered this problem. my sound icon was greyed out. after using a sony headset last night and then this morning it was greyed out and there was a red light at the headset connector.. what i did was, i used the sony headset again and unplugged it but it was still not working and then i used my nokia headset and then lowered the volume of the sound icon then i also pressed the sound icon on my keyboard then i unplugged the headset and then done! it worked! 🙂

Jan 27, 2014 7:29 PM in response to veronica721

This worked like a charm! I don't understand why, but it did. I had sound, but I could only hear the clicking as I turned up the volume and on some youtube videos, but not other sound would play.

Iplugged in headphones (the sound worked all around); unplugged and voila! My audio is back to normal.

---

RE: I had the same problem just now. Red light in the headphones port and the only output option was digital output. I simply put in my earphones and took it out and the internal speakers started working again. hope this helps!

The sound on my Macbook Pro does not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.