Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerpoint window off the screen

I opened powerpoint, and opened a recent presentation. The presentation did not appear. I went into mission control, and saw the window was there. When dragging the window into a new desktop, it simply rose to the top left (outside the desktop preview) and faded away. Look at the sequence of images, you'll see what i mean:

BTW: The first image should actually say 'Desktop 1'. I messed up in the screen shots!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 7:56 AM

Have you tried going to the Display preferences and forcing the machine to detect displays (in case you had previously plugged into another display and the machine has not realized the 2nd display is not connected)?

57 replies

Feb 27, 2012 8:44 AM in response to william44isme

With some 'less intelligent' applications, this workaround has helped:

First, be sure to tick the Show displays in menu bar checkbox in the Displays item on System Preferences, to get the menulet up and have instant access to all things display without having to fumble all the time.

Then, when an app goes offscreen, use the menulet to reduce the display resolution a size or two. This causes the OS to signal all apps that have open windows of the change so they can adjust accordingly. As per Apple's recommended Human Interface guidelines, the apps are mandated to constrain their windows to the visible area of the screen, and most do.

After that happens, you can return to the regular screen resolution. Windows will stay constrained to the smaller res or may readjust to fill the new one, but not exceed it.

Feb 27, 2012 9:00 AM in response to william44isme

Once the windows get resized, you will have regained access to the whole of them and will be able to use the controls. Awkward two-step dance, I know, but certainly better than just staring helplessly at a piece of window covering the whole of the screen.

BTW, Powerpoint is usually decently behaved in this respect; some other freeware apps, not so much.

May 11, 2013 1:26 AM in response to william44isme

Courcoul's solution used to work for me, but rather frustratingly it has now stopped working. I couldn't get the other solutions above to work either. I eventually got around it by using a variant.

Quit Powerpoint (Important!).

Reduce the resolution of your display using system preferences/display pane. (I used the lowest resolution).

Then reopen Powerpoint / your presentation whilst in the lower resolution.

Then restore your original (higher) resolution using system preferences/display pane.

The Powerpoint window comes to view.

Oct 3, 2013 11:33 PM in response to william44isme

The only thing that works for me is to:

1) run a presentation from slide show

2) make any kind of change to the presentation (e.g. draw on it with the pen or add notes)

3) quit powerpoint from the menu bar

4) when it asks you if you want to save it, the slide and message bar pops into the main screen. grab the whole slide and message box and drag it a bit, then click cancel and it'll stay there

Powerpoint window off the screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.