Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NO Sound from the Apple TV unit.

I have no sound at all. Just used it 30 minutes ago and it worked fine while using Netflix. Also tried restarting unit, but still no sound. Used AirPlay with ipad2, and get pictures but no sound. Get sound from tv using digital antenna and DVD player. is this a faulty unit?

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 9:04 PM

19 replies

Mar 17, 2012 8:35 PM in response to Shermank206

Wow - same thing happened to me. Video is ok from IMAC and IPAD, but no audio. Spent 4 hours on the phone - got pushed between Apple TV and IPAD Senior Tech support for a total cost of $60. Last option offered was restore my Apple TV which I did. No joy, TECH then suggested perhaps the HDMI cable was bad. Since I told him I had watched a video I had downloaded from ITUNES earlier, I thought that was a stretch. I have reset everything - IMAC, ITUNES, APPLE TV, turn off and on repeated..nothing. I hope someone has some ideas here.

Jan 26, 2013 3:57 AM in response to Shermank206

Same problem here. Sound from all units worken perfectly before last update from Apple. NO sound at all no matter what I've tride. Have tried switching HDMI input, Changed HDMI cable, changed settings for Apple TV (DOLBY sound off as suggested by many users) .... still no sound at all not even when I'm streaming from other Apple units.

Any suggestions?

Jan 27, 2013 12:49 PM in response to Shermank206

I had a 30 minutes talk with apple support. It all ended in the conclusion that the last automatic update caused the problem. Apple support therefore emailed me a downgrade of the Apple TV software. I have not downgraded the software yet because I need a micro USB to connect to the computer and I don't have that cable yet... So I don't know if it will work.. But I feel confident that it will work since it worked fine before the update. Let you know about the result.

Jan 30, 2013 11:48 AM in response to Shermank206

Have now purchased the USB micro cable and connected the Apple TV to my Mac for downgrading the software to 5.0.2. Unfortunately this attempt didn't work as expected. Still no sound. This is really strange because my Apple TV now has the same software version as when I purchased it. It worked perfectly for 14 days. It's an Apple TV generation 3. Next step will be to return it to the store where it was purchased. It really *****. If anyone has experienced the same issue and managed to solve it I would be really happy to know how you did.

Jan 31, 2013 1:17 PM in response to 2200Copenhagen

FINALLY CRACKED THE CODE.....

After many days and days of trouble shooting and contact to Apple Phone Support (who wasn't able to help me out).... I finally managed to google the following result from an apple support link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2090

In my case the problem seemed to be that If the HDMI cable accidently is being removed (or pulled out) while both the TV and the Apple TV is powered on, the Apple TV might stop playing audio which it did in my case.

The following worked for me. disconnect the TV and the Apple TV from the power source (simple power off will not work). Wait for 10 seconds... Then first conntect the TV back to the power source... wait 10 seconds and then connect the Apple TV back to the power source. VOILA!!!

Cheers, Mike

NO Sound from the Apple TV unit.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.