Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word Document Opens with Markup

I am using Word for Mac on my Macbook Pro with Lion. Everytime I open a particular document in Word, the view shows Markups, which is really distracting. I can go to View, and get rid of the markup view, but then it shows up again each time I open the document.

Also, each time I open Word, every document I have worked on in the last few months opens, too. I close each document individually, using File - Close, which I thought would take care of it. But it doesn't, and all these documents open, instead of just the one document I want open.

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 5:19 PM

Try going to Tools menu.

Go to Track Changes.

Select Highlight Changes and uncheck all the boxes.

Save the document using Save As ... to overwrite the previous version.

As for your other problem, a fix for this was explained in this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3208694

13 replies

Jul 19, 2015 6:24 PM in response to steve626

This solution re hiding markup did not work for me. In spite of

1. (within the document) turning off Track Changes, setting Tracking to Final, and unchecking all of the options in Show Markup,

2. (in Tools) following the suggested steps in the response to the original request for help above, and

3. (when saving) replacing the original document with a Save As/Replace and also saving the document with a new title,

the document still opens with the markup showing.

I have to embed this Word doc on a website for a portfolio, and I really don't want anything but the final version to show. Speedy suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm using Word for Mac 2011 14.5.0 on a Macbook Pro, OS 10.9.5.

Thanks,

Joan

Oct 16, 2015 5:23 PM in response to mdh

I think I've finally found the solution. I don't know if all versions of Word look similar. I'm using Word for Mac 2011. In the menu bar at the top of your document you have Home, Layout etc. The one on the right is Review. Click on Review. Under "Changes", I was told there was an Accept All icon or such but I only found a way to Accept each individual markup one at a time. I just rapid-fire clicked on that little Accept icon until I had gotten rid of all the markups, greyed-out words etc. Then I saved the doc and lo and behold they were all gone the next times I opened it.

I think I also did a Save As first so I don't know if that mattered or not. You might also need to make sure Track Changes is set to OFF. I don't think you need to do anything to "Final Showing Markup" or "Show Markup."

Oct 11, 2016 5:38 PM in response to Chris Milligan

This was driving me insane. This fix did work for me (in Word 2008 Mac).

Preferences > Track Changes

Set all the dropdown boxes to none and uncheck box to show balloons

Going to View menus>markup and turning it off usually turns the markup off, but it would not keep it off by default. I even tried modifying the normal template to do this, and it kept showing as on again each time I opened a new document. So by doing the above, at least the markup is not visible even if the menu item continues to re-check itself.

Thank you for this solution, it helped.

Maddening. Grr.

Word Document Opens with Markup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.