Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can ATV2 play 1080p after the update?

Hi all,

The answer should be "no," but I downloaded the 1080p version of the Brave trailer from iTunes... and it plays through my ATV 2.

I always thought that the limit was 720p. Is the ATV 2 downscaling? Or is something else going on?

Thanks!

AppleTV 2

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 3:09 PM

16 replies

Mar 7, 2012 4:00 PM in response to Myvoiceismypsswrd

I know it's not supposed to play it. What I want to know is why it is playing it -- or seems to be, in any event.

The file I downloaded from iTunes was 1080p. It plays on the ATV 2.

Winston? AC?

(Edit to add: You could never do this before, as far as I know -- you'd just get an error, and the file woukd not play. This seems to have coincided with today's update.)

Mar 7, 2012 4:46 PM in response to Maggot

ATV2 has ALWAYS been able to play H264 1080p videos. iTunes (store) itself didn't have any available, but if you got any and dropped it on iTunes on your Mac/PC, it would stream from your computer and play on your ATV2 just like any 720p would. Thing is: resolution output would ALWAYS be 720p, no matter what the source resolution is. So yeah, it downscales.

I'm curious about the update, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna stay the same. Otherwise, why replace the hardware?

Mar 7, 2012 5:19 PM in response to Maggot

i dont think it really matters for most content, to be able to see the difference between 720 and 1080 you need to be fairly close to the television. i was hoping that the new appletv3 would have additional features beyond removing a limitation on streaming size....

that will just increase my home ISP data usage possibley to the point of hitting my 200gb monthly cap.

Mar 7, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I can confirm it does. Like I said, it is able to decode 1080p, but it will only output 720p. You might also want to mind the bitrate, I don't know what the A4 can handle. You can easily find free trailers in 1080p mp4s encoded with h264 on the web. Make sure you try different bitrates, you'll see that it works.

I have just updated and can confirm the ATV2 gets the new fancy UI, but video settings are still limited to a maximum 720p. :(

May 19, 2012 6:33 AM in response to Maggot

Hello All,

I sold an apple tv2 to a friend and he has a 60" mitsubishi 1080p set and when connected to the apple box the main apple tv2 screen will appear briefly ( for a min or so) then goes blue as if no signal is connected. I believe that the apple tv2 gen. box can play streamed 1080p content but cannot actually output 1080p to a tv this is truly 1080p. Just a thought..

Oct 12, 2012 9:38 AM in response to Maggot

So I'm still curious and am not sure on the actual answer...

Can I downloand and play 1080p content through my ATV2. I know that its max output is 720p, but I'm wondering if I buy another ATV3 that outpus 1080p and begin to upgrade my movie library to 1080p movies, will they only play on the ATV3 or will they play on the ATV2 but be downscaled to 720p? I just don't want to invest time/money in 1080p downloads if they would only play on the ATV3 and not the ATV2. I'm not concerned with output resolution (720p is fine for me), but more concerned with a single 1080p file playing on either ATV2 or ATV3... Thanks for any help.

Can ATV2 play 1080p after the update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.