Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update AMD graphics card drivers in Macbook Pro 15" 2011

I've been having this problem for a while now, and from what I understand, it's a fairly common issue with bootcamp but I have not been able to find a solution to the problem nonetheless. I am using a 15" Macbook Pro from 2011 (purchased in early September, not sure if that was before the 'late 2011' model or not), running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 through bootcamp v4.0. The graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6750m last updated on 6/13/2011 to version 8.812.0.0.

I have tried many times to update the card using the AMD catalyst control center supposedly made for windows 7 in bootcamp, but no matter what compatibility options I choose, the installer either tells me there is no graphics adapter (auto detect) or just crashes immediately after starting installation of the catalyst control center. I've also attempted reinstalling bootcamp several times, each with a fresh download of the windows support software, though I have not completely uninstalled Windows 7. I'm not sure if the problem is with the bootcamp drivers themselves or with AMD's software or a combination of both, and a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I know this is completely the wrong spot for this, but while I'm here, does anybody else have issues running EA's Origin download service? I just installed it in bootcamp a few days ago to play Mass Effect 3, and ever since then my computer gets display lag (e.g. in windows media player the video freezes for a few seconds at a time, while the sound continues playing) sometimes, especially during and after attempting to play Mass Effect 3. I already checked to make sure that both Origin and Mass Effect 3 are fully up to date, so I thought it might have something to do with the graphics card.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance, and I apologize for asking a question that has probably been answered several times. I searched through several posts, I couldn't find any answers to my problem.

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 6:24 PM

Yeah, it's a common issue, for Apple users and non-Apple. If the hardware vendor doesn't allow it, you can't update with generic drivers, without "Modding" your INF. And from what I understand, modding switchable graphics is difficult or impossible.

On the other hand, look at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3440215?start=0&tstart=0

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2012 6:24 PM in response to Sonic779

Yeah, it's a common issue, for Apple users and non-Apple. If the hardware vendor doesn't allow it, you can't update with generic drivers, without "Modding" your INF. And from what I understand, modding switchable graphics is difficult or impossible.

On the other hand, look at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3440215?start=0&tstart=0

Mar 7, 2012 8:51 PM in response to Kid Dynamic

Thanks for trying, but I still wasn't able to get it to work. Seems kind of odd to create a system like this where you have to rely on the hardware vendor for updates, essentially ending up with an unsupported system (at least in bootcamp) seeing as how Apple doesn't seem to update bootcamp or the drivers that come with it often. I'm sure I'm missing something, but for now it looks like I just have to deal with it, and when the time comes to replace my computer, I'll have to get one that doesn't switch between two different graphics cards.

Points for trying though.

Mar 26, 2012 5:15 AM in response to Sonic779

I had the exact same problem. After hours of searching I found the solution. The problem wasn't that you own a mac , just the interface on the AMD site is a bit wrong. After hours of searching i found this file , 11-9_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe ( 97MB) and that was the driver i needed to install.

For your information i deleted the apple drivers first and used driver sweeper to clear it all.

After i installed the cataclyst mobility I installed the latest update: amd_catalyst_8.95_rc_vista_7_32-64.exe

I know this mobility exe file only works for 64 bit , which i installed , try searching for the 32 one of that and installing it. Cleaning your original drivers is a good idea to start.

Here's a site that offers all the files you could possibly need:

http://beqiraj.net/post/AMD-Catalyst-Mobility-11-9-erschienen.aspx

Mar 26, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Sonic779

AMD recently released the 12.3 mobile Catalyst drivers located here:

http://www2.ati.com/DriVeRs/mobile/12-2_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

Don't worry about the filename 12.2, when it installs, CCC says it's actually 12.3. I wasn't able to upgrade my macbook's 6770m from 12.1 to 12.2 in bootcamp (got the same error messsage as you......no graphics adapter installed). But as soon as I tried installing this package, it worked fflawlessly.

May 9, 2012 8:40 PM in response to JonDiesel

Despite all of these helpful posts from the community, I'm still coming up short. I'm attempting to update my ATI Radeon HD 6770m driver on windows 7 64-bit. I've followed this guide:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3866652?start=0&tstart=0

(third post down) - I also use Drive Sweeper after using CCCleaner and device manager uninstall.

Every time I attempt to install the driver after rebooting, I receive an error message stating "Driver install: the INF file was not found" with a log stating that the driver failed to install upon completion.

When I attempt to use control panel>Device Manager>Display Adapters>Update Driver Software>Browse My Computer For Driver Software and then choose the appropriate file path (including subfolders) or by choosing from a list of device drivers and selecting one of the two inf files in c:/amd/support/12-2_mobility../packages/drivers/display/w76a_inf, I receive the following error message:

"Windows Encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

AMD Radeon HD 6700m Series

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

I'm hitting nothing but dead ends here. I just want to play SWTOR with an updated driver!

Please provide a detailed, step-by-step solution (if you have one). It is not safe to assume that I have any experience regarding graphics drivers or running windows in bootcamp. Thanks in advance.

May 9, 2012 11:11 PM in response to _jxhn

I'm not sure if this will help you at all, but here is what I did to update my 6750m to version 12.3.

First, I redownloaded the latest version of the windows support software on Mac OS X, and installed it on my existing windows partition. Then I just downloaded and installed the graphics driver that JonDiesal provided. I didn't mess around with uninstalling drivers or anything, just overwrote the version I had with 12.3.

It's not the latest version anymore (no idea how to install that), but it should at least run better than whatever version you have. Can't guarentee that it'll work though. As I said, my Macbook Pro is using a 6750m graphics card.

Hope this solves your problem!

Oct 6, 2012 4:10 PM in response to JonDiesel

JonDiesel's link worked for me on my 17" MacBook Pro Early 2011 running Windows 7 x64 with a recent fresh install.

I also noticed I could change the 2 in the URL to a 6, and get the newer 12.6 mobile Catalyst drivers, which seemed to install and work just fine. I didn't do any kind of check to see if they ran any better or worse, and I just installed them over the 12.3 ones from JonDiesel's link.

http://www2.ati.com/DriVeRs/mobile/12-6_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

May 1, 2013 2:42 PM in response to Sonic779

Well, I downloaded the 13.4 drivers, they worked great, but it messed up my ability to have a 2nd monitor (runs the 1920x1080 monitor as 640x480 and calls it a generic non pnp monitor). Only way to fix it was to roll back to previous drivers, but I'd love to find a way that could fix up my monitor without having to go into the 12.x drivers.

Nov 2, 2013 4:39 AM in response to Petman1325

Petman1325 wrote:

Well, I downloaded the 13.4 drivers, they worked great, but it messed up my ability to have a 2nd monitor (runs the 1920x1080 monitor as 640x480 and calls it a generic non pnp monitor). Only way to fix it was to roll back to previous drivers, but I'd love to find a way that could fix up my monitor without having to go into the 12.x drivers.

You'll have to download the drivers for your 2nd monitor. Had the same problem, but after downloading and installing the drivers it worked flawlessy.

Newest AMD Mobility Drivers 13-9:

http://www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-9_mobility_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

Good source for updated direct links to recent Ati Mobility Drivers:

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Feb 18, 2014 8:59 PM in response to Sonic779

Just to keep this alive, I went through the same thing with my late-11' MBP (6750). This was with the lastest Bootcamp drivers. The only reason I got into it was that CCC would throw an error on boot stating that v4 of .Net needed to be installed. v4.5 was in there. So I figured the AMD software didn't install properly.

In my case, I ended up having to use Drive Sweeper in Safe Mode. Once it was all out, especially the registry entries, I was able to reboot and install the latest mobility drivers. I tried a few times before, just using the AMD uninstall utility and it would always fail on subsequent install attempts.

Thx for posting this!

Can't update AMD graphics card drivers in Macbook Pro 15" 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.