Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the new Apple TV 3 support true 16/24bit HD Audio Formats?

The old one didn't. It always converts high resolution files.

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 1:27 AM

19 replies

Mar 11, 2012 12:11 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Yeah, it supports "Apple Lossless"; but that doesn't say whether it supports 24-bit Apple Lossless files.

Currently it'll play them, but the optical output somehow downsamples to 16-bit correct? I thought this was particular to the ATV, as the Apple Airport Express can play 24-bit output I've heard....

Anyway, it's a frustrating issue and there doesn't seem to be a good reason why the ATV2 won't play 24-bit in the first place. 😕

Mar 11, 2012 1:24 PM in response to slberlin

Until we get our hands on one we won't know.

As others have mentioned the list does not necessarily preclude it given that Apple Lossless supports higher bit depth/sample rate, but with iTunes still only offering compressed audio I'd be surprised if they've considered the option.

I suspect it'll still perform the 16 bit 48 kHz resampling abomination.

AC

Mar 11, 2012 1:57 PM in response to Greg Jarvis

It's a software issue plain and simple in my view (on AppleTV's side). I don't think the optical hardware is limited - it's unlikely Apple would have sourced a non-standard optical solution and seeing as they come with the ability to do better quality audio I'd imagine this does too.

Yes Macs support at least 24/96 over optical as I've just reattached my Mini to a Yamaha DSP to play some 24/96 studio masters from Linn.

Greg Jarvis wrote:

Wait a minute peeps - this isn't necessarily a problem with iTunes. AFAIK iTunes does support 24-bit output - if you play a 24-bit ALE audio file via optical out of your Mac, it's 24-bit audio as far as I'm aware.

I was under the impression that the issue is with the ATV optical output itself - it's limited to 16-bit.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.