Previous 1 2 3 Next 102 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2015 2:54 AM by thetidytiger
krenten Level 1 Level 1

I just updated my apple tv to 5.0, hooked it up to my projector (HDMI) and to my Cambridge Audio Azur 640R for audio (optical cable). Unfortunately, no sound comming from the apple tv. Red light shines through the cable, already did a factory reset on the apple tv, played around with the audio settings on the apple tv, restarting it every time... no sound... and the receiver is set to recieve digital audio (tested it using another device to make sure).

any suggestions?

AppleTV 2, iOS 5
Solved by Flipitos on Jan 6, 2013 11:40 AM Solved

Just switched cables and got it working!!!!! Finally. Can you imagine it was the cable... But why PS3 works fine though???

Reply by Damian Smith1 on Mar 9, 2012 7:03 AM Helpful

You and several thousand other people are having  this problem. The link below has a link to Apple's ATV feedback page

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17804865#17804865

Reply by ollwoll on Apr 16, 2012 9:45 PM Helpful

I've got almost an identical set-up as @krenten with the same problems.

My temporary work-around (to get audio to my Azur AV amp) is to run an optical cable from Apple TV to my TV then from the TV to the amp. A bit riducolous but at least you can play music ...

All replies

• Ethan Level 2 Level 2

Was this configuration working prior to the update to 5.0? Do you get the interface sound effects or no audio at all? What type of content are you trying to play? What happens if you disconnect the HDMI and then AirPlay some music to the Apple TV?

• Sven Jenautzke Level 1 Level 1

Same thing here - my setup was working flawlessly prior the upgrade, now theres no sound via the spdif-output!!! iTunes and the remote-app are updated as well.

• Almostwise Level 1 Level 1

I have the same problem. Optical out was working great before update, now no sound at all through it. Apple, this is the 2nd update to Apple TV that has "broken" the Optical out, please fix!

• Damian Smith1 Level 3 Level 3

You and several thousand other people are having  this problem. The link below has a link to Apple's ATV feedback page

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17804865#17804865

• krenten Level 1 Level 1

Not a thing... No luck there with the airplay option.

• Sarper_Beyazyurek Level 1 Level 1

I have the same problem

• raffaellofrombologna Level 1 Level 1

I can't believe it's happened again. the box just got two output to check .... the problem was (almost) overcome .... and now again .... I just I’m waiting for some funboy claiming atv is not intended to work without a tv.

ok, anyway I've avoided update untill know but can anyone make some clearness about the optical output situation?

If used only for only audio purpose linked to a dac does it work if connected at the same time to a hdmi (TV) that give the handshake?

Or it doesn’t work at all? Again I’m talking about an audio only message coming from an airplay device....

Just a small update to all of you. Apple's engineering department just contacted me and we went through the procedure I do to play a movie (without sound) while it records this action as a profile then sent to apple. This is a good thing I guess cause it means Apple is very much aware and actively pursuing a solution.

So anyone reading this, create your own discussion or take an active part in one so that apple can contact you too to gather data and get this sorted ASAP!

No it really does not work :(

• Roy B Level 3 Level 3

What happens if you change Settings > Audio & Video > Dolby Digital to On? Does optical audio start working?

• Almostwise Level 1 Level 1

I wish it were that easy Roy. Dolby Digital is "on", just isn't working...

• nfromhouten Level 1 Level 1

Optical Out has been ruined from 4.4 onwards.

Apple didn't fix it in 4.4.1, 4.4.2, 4.4.3 or in 4.4.4.

And 5.0 isn't any better.

So from december 2011 half of Apple TV's output channels could not be used.

I bought the Apple TV just to play music. Had to buy a DAC to connect it to my amplifier.

Worked fine till 4.4 came.

And it is not possible to get back to 4.3.

Obscene language is not allowed on this forum. I do regret that.

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6

krenten wrote:

Just a small update to all of you. Apple's engineering department just contacted me and we went through the procedure I do to play a movie (without sound) while it records this action as a profile then sent to apple. This is a good thing I guess cause it means Apple is very much aware and actively pursuing a solution.

So anyone reading this, create your own discussion or take an active part in one so that apple can contact you too to gather data and get this sorted ASAP!

I have a hunch this to some extent stems from AppleTV automatically configuring optical output to match the capability of the device connected over HDMI which will give AppleTv a 'list' of audio and video modes.

If for example a TV can only handle stereo digital audio over HDMI this then forces the same over optical when DD set to Auto.  So in my case, here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3822239?tstart=0

...setting DD to On forces audio out to DD over HDMI and optical so I get DD on the amp but no audio on the non-DD capable TV over HDMI.

I wonder with some of these projector setups if the device is returning no audio capability at all when handshaking, maybe in some cases if connected via an HDMI to DVI adapter/cable, or if the device simply has no audio capability at all.

AC

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6

Almostwise wrote:

I wish it were that easy Roy. Dolby Digital is "on", just isn't working...

Is your amps optical in configured to Auto - if it's manually configured and to something other than DD that might also explain things.

Previous 1 2 3 Next