Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad stops playing music when I launch an app?

I can play music with my ipad using the music app, but when I open up another app or game, the music just stops...

...no big deal, I thought, so I double tap the home button to access the music controls while the game is running and hit play... BUT...

As soon as I click back into the game, the music stops again... so. frustrating.

So I searched around the net, apparently other people are having this same issue. I turned off the music and sound in the game, tried different games... and some do this but some don't, so I think it must be a problem with my iPad, right? I'm thinking to take it into the genius bar for repair, has anyone else had this happen? Did they get it fixed?

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 7:09 AM

22 replies

Mar 11, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Captain Lardnicus

It may well be the games themselves that are disabling the Music app - whether or not you have sounds turned on or off within the actual game. Have you tried contacting the developer of any of the games to see if that is the case ? Or you could give the names of some of the games and see if anybody on here has them who can check if they behave the same way on their iPads.

Mar 11, 2012 7:26 AM in response to King_Penguin

No, it's not a problem with the apps, all I'm doing is launching them, and they run perfectly fine... I've also tried muting the games and all sorts of stuff (believe me, I've tried almost everything) but it's actually the music app which is stopping because when I go back to the music app it's stopped, not playing...

One game that does this EVERY TIME is "the tower of zarbatrz".

Mar 11, 2012 7:44 AM in response to King_Penguin

No, it's the music app/ipad that's the problem, the other apps run perfectly fine and all of their music plays and stops when I change it in the prefs. How can a game control the music app? That's crazy...

I'd say it's amost like the music app crashes when I am running a game, but I can still control it from duble tapping the home button, but as soon as I go back to the game it stops again...

It's ok, I'll just take it into the genius bar for repair, I just thought someone might have some software fix...

Mar 11, 2012 8:10 AM in response to Captain Lardnicus

This is not a problem with the iPad for if it were the same would occur when launching every game - not just some, and when launching any other app.

Does this occur when launching apps such as the Mail app, Safari, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, etc. when playing music with the Music app, or just with certain games only?

All games are not coded to run in the background when playing music with the Music app - all 3rd party apps do not run in the background. This could be because a game is processor intensive, or because the app developer has not updated the app to do so.

Mar 11, 2012 8:23 AM in response to Captain Lardnicus

I dont think you understand Sonic. The apps are not affecting the Music App, they are affecting sound in general. Its really quite simple, if the app you are launching does not allow background music, then it will shut down any and all sound when launched. Its been that way ever since it was first allowed on iOS. As Mr. Sampson stated, unless they are coded to do so, you will have to contact the developer to see if they have plans to allow music to run in the background.

Mar 11, 2012 8:27 AM in response to Captain Lardnicus

The app developers need to update their app to run when the Music app is running.

An iOS device has always supported multitasking with the included apps. I remember playing music with the iPod while surfing the web with Safari, checking for new email and sending email with the Mail app, and exchanging texts with the orginal iPhone on the release date nearly 5 years ago.

The ability for 3rd party apps to run in the background or in conjunction with other apps was added later but this is up to the app developer for an app.

iPad stops playing music when I launch an app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.