Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why don't all users show up at startup screen?

My wife's user icon doesn't show up as a user option at the start up screen. Only mine and the guest user shows up. This frustrates her to no end. What do I need to do to have both her and my icon to show up?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 9:51 AM

16 replies

Mar 11, 2012 1:42 PM in response to John Gulczynski

System preferences --> Accounts --> unlock the panel with admin id (click lock on lower left) --> automatic login off and display login window as list of users

If that is what you have set then there is no obvious reason why all users should not show up in the login list. The user list should be the ones listed in the left panel.

You should do the above when logged into your administrator account.

Mar 12, 2012 5:57 PM in response to John Gulczynski

It doesn't matter to have more than one admin although you might want to coordinate you both changing the same stuff back and forth.

There is no cache for this and there is no obvious reason (to me) why all users are not showing in the login list.

Just out of curiousity type (or copy/paste) the following into a terminal window and post the results if you see anything other than a "does not exist" error message:

sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList

You will be prompted for your admin password (in won't echo when you type it). Then hit return.

Feb 27, 2013 11:28 AM in response to JezB

You CAN change this if you like, but it is a little convoluted.

Best to ask your corporate folks to fix it.

On your own Network, you would normally run Workgroup Admin on the Server to change the Managed List and many, many other parameters of a Managed Mac. It turns out, if you are not running a Server, almost anything you can do with Workgroup Admin on the Server, can be done locally running WorkGroup Admin on your computer.

Why don't all users show up at startup screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.