Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo mail rejects password but only on iMac

Hi,

I have an Intel iMac and loving it, I bought it last December and Apple mail was just perfect. But recently every day I get an error message saying Yahoo has rejected my password and to re-enter, with an option to save in keychain. The password keeps being rejected but if I go into Yahoo mail on Safari then all seems fine and Apple mail works. I also have an iphone and ipad and these are fine, no password issues at all.

I know there has been a Yahoo update recently and I thought it could be that but then surely the iphone/ipad would also be affected. Equally there has been Lion updates and it all started around that time.

I have tried deleting the password in keychain and starting again, no help. I have deleted the email account and stated again, no help.

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what to do next. Any help or advise would be welcome.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 2:04 AM

40 replies

Mar 12, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Tafftech

My password has 8 char including 2 numbers, but I doubt that is an issue as it worked between Dec and Jan, works on iPad and iPhone and Yahoo itself of course. If the error occurs ( most days now) and I sign out and back in on Yahoo in Safari then all ok, not sure when it stops being ok, probably when I close Safari, will try that.

I have deleted the keychain entry a number of times, I have reinterred the password in keychain as well. I have d,eyed the email account on the Mac and then re created it, all makes no difference. It seems to be the way Apple mail is sending the password etc tow the Yahoo server.

Mar 12, 2012 10:46 AM in response to Tafftech

Hi,

All restored and up and running, thank goodness for the time machine, phew!

Back to the original issue yes, Port: 993 and Use SSL checked? Autentication should be Password. I have deleted all keychain entries for mail, these were then re-created when asked, but the system still keeps asking. I signed on to Yahoo via Safari and it works. But it will go wrong again I am sure

Mar 13, 2012 2:47 PM in response to leefromtiverton

Hi,

I had a long conversation with BT today, it seems that IMAP emails can create this issue on Macs, they don't know why. What we did was to create a new account based on a POP email, this apparently is old style and is well understood. Macs automatically create the IMAP type. In the morning I will try to write down each of the steps, pretty simple but I need the Mac on to remember. So far it seems ok

Mar 14, 2012 9:53 AM in response to leefromtiverton

Well, this time last night I thought BT had fixed the issue by creating the POP account. BUT this morning when I started it all happened again but now on both IMAP and POP !! so double the annoying messages.

Finally called Apple support as I have Apple Care I thought I should use my investment. Very helpful and patient guy, he said the issue was either software related or user set-up, to identify which we created a new User called TEST, so a virgin system, I then let the system create my email just as I did when I first got the machine last year and had no issue then. He then suggested that I try to use the new TEST user for my emails for a few days. If the issue returned then it is likely to be software, if not then likely to be user set-up/corruption somewhere.

So, I will let you know how I get on.

Yahoo mail rejects password but only on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.