Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.6 and proxy server connection

Hello,

I was using iTunes, in a network enviroment with a proxy server, since yesterday when I updated it to 10.6 version.

Troubles began...

My IE settings about proxy server are correct, and my network admin did not change anything in out proxy configuration. Thus, I checked IE proxy settings, and they are ok (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1470). Restared my PC, but iTunes after the login to my proxy server (NOT with appleid of course but with my network account - and it's works, I'm sure about it) cannot go on, with a 12002 error.

So, IMHO iTunes 10.6 proxy support is broken...

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 4:59 AM

53 replies

Mar 23, 2012 3:11 AM in response to oversim

I have the exact same problem.

Previous versions of iTunes works perfectlty with our proxy server but the latest version doesn't. It look like it doesn't work with Windows Authentication anymore. I have to log in the proxy server every first time I try to acces iTunes Store and iTunes Match. If i shut down iTunes and start iTunes again, the popup is back. Even if I disable the iTunes Store in parental control, iTunes is requesting credentials for the proxy server.

I have the latest updates installed of Windows 7 and everything else is working fine.

Mar 23, 2012 6:13 AM in response to oversim

We are having the same issue in our environment. Only thing changed is update to iTunes 10.6 . It appears that iTunes is prompting for each item it is downloading. Checking the remember my credentials box does not help because it really is a different item to ask credentials for. Previous versions of iTunes worked fine as well.

Side Note: This is similar to the problem I see with iPads and iOS 5.1. Previous version of iOS worked

Apr 24, 2012 8:44 AM in response to oversim

Ok...here's a workaround for Windows based computers. Not an ideal solution but it works. For those of you on a corporate network, I highly suggest you get this approved before you implement it.

You will need to download and install Cntlm Authentication Proxy. The link is...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cntlm/files/

Once installed...find the cntlm.ini file located in the c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files(x86) folder and open it with notepad. Modify the following lines to match your network/proxy configuration...

Username

Domain

Password

Proxy

Once you save the cntlm.ini file go to Services and start the Cntlm Authentication Proxy service...or you could simply restart the computer.

The last step is to configure your browser to use the following address as a proxy server...

127.0.0.1 port 3128 (3128 is the default listening port used by cntlm and can be changed in the cntlm.ini file)

As I said, this is not an ideal solution as your network username and password are stored in the cntlm.ini file as clear text and if you ever change your network password you will need to change the cntlm.ini file as well. This is also why I suggest that those of you on corporate networks get approval for this before you install since this is a potential security risk. But this does resolve the proxy authentication pop up issue with iTunes and for anyone attempting to use Dropbox and having similar proxy issues this solution works for Dropbox as well.

iTunes 10.6 and proxy server connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.