Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad delivery date

I ordered my new iPad early morning eastern time on Friday, the 9th. It was right before they changed the ship date to the 19th. My delivery date is supposed to be on the 16th. I check my order status every hour, and it still says "preparing for shipment", and that it will be delivered on the 16th. Yet, I'm very concerned that they will run out before mine gets shipped. My new Smart Cover, that I also ordered at the same time has already shipped. It shipped on Saturday, and just last night I finally was able to track it, and that is scheduled for delivery on the 15th, Thursday. Nothing on the iPad though.

I charged it on my check card, and the Smart Cover sale has already posted, but the iPad purchase is still "pending".

I'm worried that I ordered it too late, and they will run out.

Has this ever happened before, have they run out of pre-orders promised to be delivered on the release date? Or am I overreacting?

It's already Tuesday, and if I don't hear anything today, I don't even see how it could possibly be delivered on time, on Friday, the 16th.

iPad

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:24 AM

29 replies

Mar 13, 2012 6:27 AM in response to M8827

Yes, it's happened. And yes, IMHO you're probably overreacting. Your iPad will arrive eventually. It may well be on the 16th, but if it were to be a day or two, or even a few days or a couple of weeks, later than intially estimated, I doubt that it will be a major tragedy, though I certainly understand your likely disappointment. My order slipped only because for some reason a perfectly good credit card didn't verify right away. I imagine my life won't be drastically affected, though, because I have to wait a while longer. 🙂

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

Mar 13, 2012 6:29 AM in response to M8827

Apple in the past has been good about not accepting more pre-orders than stock available. Relax and don't check so frequently, maybe no more than daily or twice a day if you are really impatient.

Apple has stopped accepting pre-orders for in-store pickup so they are on top of the available stock.

Their shipping has always gone faster than the estimate for things I have bought.

Mar 13, 2012 6:32 AM in response to M8827

If you read the fine print on the order page, the "Available to ship" or any "Delivery Date" is an estimate only, not a guarantee nor a promise.

Yes, there have been times when orders have exceeded the available supply to ship or delivery by the original estimated date. Your order is then processed as quickly as the supply chain allows, and delivered as soon as possible. Often, when the original estimate has been missed, Apple has "upgraded" the final delivery to next day or some faster service (I've had that a couple of times in the past - one order was simply late because of weather delays in getting from Alaska to the lower 48, so they bumped it up to next day air).

Sorry, I have no idea whether yours will or will not come on the 16th, but it was never guaranteed to do so anyway. Since the product originally ships from China, it would be impossible for anyone to guarantee a specific delivery date - all they can do is give the best estimate at the time of ordering. And once it is shipping, it is in the shippers hands, and they will have their own delivery issues to deal with. FedEx is good, sure, but not immune to delays or unexpected events.

Mar 13, 2012 1:36 PM in response to M8827

Yeah, pretty crazy! I'll be checking the Fed Ex tracking all day Friday until it's delivered! I'm having it delivered to me at work, where I have all packages delivered to me. I'm always there- and don't like having packages sit outside of my house until I get home. Plus, no one is at home to sign for any deliveries, anyway.

I'll be really looking forward to going to work on Friday, now. :) Not only will it be the weekend, and I'm off this weekend, but I'll also have my new iPad! :) :) So happy!

Mar 14, 2012 10:58 PM in response to dcnjdr

Apple has supplies stateside/in NA. My shipment was "created" on Tuesday night and it's in holding.

They aren't letting you get it before the 16th. I've heard reports of FedEx getting them all the night of the 15th in trucks outside in the parking lot, locked up and ready to go.

I doubt you'll get stiffed beyond Monday the 20th, AT THE WORST. 🙂

Mar 15, 2012 4:53 AM in response to M8827

You think that's an issue. My order shipped from China to Kentucky in 36 hours. Now, it's been sitting for more than 4 days without movement, and it has to make it to a Canadian hub and on to me in less than 24 hours. What's with that? If UPS and Apple have screwed up, I'm going to be really upset - and I'm as enthusiastic as anyone could be about Apple.

Mar 15, 2012 5:56 AM in response to McFly80

I did 😠 get stiffed beyond Monday the 19th that is. Quite funny to see people who ordered after you wondering if they'll get it before Monday when Apple downgraded you to the 2nd of April for no reason.

Customer service lady rudely ignored the problem altogether as well.

I am loyal to Apple because of the excellent customer service... but recently they disappoint half of the time. Oh well... hope you guys enjoy your ipads in a few hours! 🙂

Mar 15, 2012 6:16 AM in response to M8827

I ordered the IPAD 10:00 a.m. on March 11th. I received the confirmation that it would ship on March 19th with delivery on March 23rd. From March 12th until last night it was listed in Processing. Last night at 9:00 p.m. I got an email from Apple saying that it was shipped and would deliver on March 19th. The UPS tracking says that it was shipped on the 14th and is on time for scheduled delivery on March 16th by 7:00 p.m. As of 5:00 a.m. out time it was still in China. It will be interesting to see where it heads to from here and which delivery date is correct. I'm in Media, PA.

Mar 15, 2012 6:20 AM in response to suzatm

Note that during the flight from China to the airport of entry in the USA, there is no update. So you should get a tracking update when the package is received at the final shipping terminus in China, but won't get another one until after the plane has landed and unloaded in the USA.

So when you say "As of 5:00 a.m. out time it was still in China...." that may not be technically correct. It is likely somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, or on the tarmac in Alaska or whereever, but not anywhere even close to still being in China.

New iPad delivery date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.