Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just came from Python; Learning XCode

So I just started learning Python like half a year ago (And haven't been working very hard at it), but I do learn rather fast.I've already mastered mult-threading, classes/functions and reading and writing data to .txt and .py documents. I don't want to use Python forever though. I want to start using XCode to develop applications for Mac OS X, Windows and iOS using Objective C.

So I got XCode, started looking through it, and was (Obviously) baffled. Heck, If I just knew where to write my source code and why, I'd be off.

Note the why. I've been googling it for awhiule, and can find nowhere that tells me what I want to know. I don't want "Follow all these steps and write your code here" because then I won't understand it and will have to come back to a tutorial for every project. So here are my questions:

1. From what I understand, a .h File is a header file where you put your classes. Is it an Objective C file? Or does it not matter?

2. And a .m file is a MATLAB file for working with the interface? Could I get a more detailed explanation, and I take it that this is not an Objective C file? Am I supposed to learn two programming languages, or am I missing something?

3. I really don't understand what a plist is. Is it what compiles all the files into an application?

4. What is Core Data? What's the difference between Core Data files and a Core Data model?

5. What is the AppDelegate.h file for?

6. These storyboards, I take it they're the progression of menus? So like the Openning Menu>Sub Menu>Actual Content?

7. What do I put in the MasterViewController.h and DetailViewController.h files? Unlike the .m files, they're not self-explanatory.

8. This .pch file... It's a pre-compiled header? What does that mean and what does it do?

9. What do I put in the main.m file?

10. What code is read first? Does the device start with the main.m, or does it start at the top? And what code is read next, all the way to the end? (I'm assuming that .h files won't be included in this since I understand that they're just defining classes, nothing more)

11. Go get your self a cookie if you read all that and still want to answer.

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 10:04 AM

The Apple developer site has all this and more:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#referencelibrary/GettingStarted/Learnin g_Objective-C_A_Primer/_index.html

.m files have *nothing* to do with MATLAB!

4 replies

Just came from Python; Learning XCode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.