Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor issue with Nikon D7000 h.264 full HD footage

Hi there,

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the below problem and if they have managed to resolve it.

When converting the footage from my D7000 (H.264) to Apple ProRes 422 there is significant difference in picture quality - the resulting ProRes mov is blown out and brighter.

Interestingly this only happens when converting footage that is full HD 1920x1080 23.98fps

When I convert standard HD footage 1280x720 the result is as expected - negligble difference between the orginal and converted footage.

I had some canon 5D Mk II footage 1920x1080 and it converts fine with compressor to ProRes, again the difference is not noticeable.

I did try converting the Nikon 1920x1080 in mpeg streamclip - there is a slight difference but nothing compared to the blow out that is seen in the compressor version.

I have spoken to Nikon and had my camera checked to make sure I didn't have it on any silly setting by accident. Their technical team has not heard of this before, but are looking into it.

I have also made sure Final Cut Studio and Compressor have the latest updates.

If anyone as any info or thoughts, I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks.

Here is a jpeg of the before/after in compressor

User uploaded file

Compressor

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 3:42 AM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2012 10:48 AM in response to Russ H

Hi Russ,

I have tried all the prores' with the same result.

It also happens converting to mpeg-4.

However, if you convert to DV PAL, you get the loss of quality/sharpness (which is to be expected) but the colour and brightness remains consistent.

Also if you convert it an "Apple Device" setting (eg h.263 for ipad) it again remains consistent to the original.

This is a link to a Nikon h.264 file for you to have a play with if you want.

(it should be public - let me know if it isn't)

Thanks

Ryan

Compressor issue with Nikon D7000 h.264 full HD footage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.