Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I install logic studio 8 in my new macbook 10.5.8 ?

I purchased a logic studio 8 and when trying to open the icon that begins installation there is a message that says that powerpc applications are not supported by my system, I have a Mackbook pro with quad processor.

Is there a way to fix this or to set it in a partition of my mac, I am a bit frustrated and dissappointed in this, please help!

Felipebae.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 8:45 AM

22 replies

Mar 15, 2012 11:19 AM in response to felipebae

The installer for Logic 8 uses ppc code which was native in 10.5.x and achieved through Rosetta in 10.6.x. This has now been dropped completely in 10.7.x.

If you still have your old laptop or another Mac that will let you run the installer you can put your new Mac into firewire disc mode (hold t key whilst booting), connect the two machines together with a firewire cable and choose the mounted disc of your new Mac to install to.

Secondly, I believe you can actually drag and drop the content of Logic 8 although there are quite a few folders spread throughout the system.

When the installer fails, does it give any filename of where it failed? For example, trying to run the updater for illustrator CS3 on a Lion Mac fails saying the file nspatch is PPC code. By swapping that one component out with an Intel compiled nspatch it makes that particular installer work.

Anyway, once you have Logic 8 on your new system there is a trick to make it run given to us by Robert Davies from this very forum soon after the release of Lion. It is:

Find your Logic Pro app and ctrl click (or right click on it)

Then click 'show package contents'

Then in the resulting folder, double click on 'contents'

Then double click on 'Mac OS'

Finally double click on the file named 'Logic Pro'.

I hope some of this helps.

Mar 17, 2012 7:31 PM in response to octopi

I tried loading the installation disc in my old computer and it took the Installation disc and at the end of it ejected the disc asking for the second one and then the next one.

Am I supposed to load the whole program in the old computer then thru the firewire cable drag it into the new macbook pro? and how can I find all the parts of the program so that I dont miss any of them?

Mar 18, 2012 1:16 AM in response to felipebae

Hi

Whilst the (PPC) Logic 8 installer will not run on Lion, it is possible (but slow) to install the software manually using Pacifist.

Step 1 Make Disk Images of all the Installer disks using Disk Utility (you may be able to skip this step, I have not tried)

Step 2 Download and open Pacifist.

Step 3 Mount all the didk images, and open the main installer disk.

Step 4 Pacifist does not like the alias (Install Logic Studio), so Control Click on it to get to the Original. This opena a window with the Logic Studio .mpkg installer and a folder with all the packages.

Step 5 Pacifist does not seem to like the .mpkg, so drag each separate installer onto Pacifist and the select and install it from within Pacifist.

When you are done run Software update (note Logic 8.0.2 will only run on OSX.7.2 and up without some real effort.

Takes quite a while, but does work.

Alternatively, just buy Logic 9 from the AppStore

CCT

Mar 18, 2012 9:22 AM in response to felipebae

No. You're using your old computer as a buffer. Make sure your new laptop is in Firewire disk mode and connected to your old Mac. The HD of your new Mac should show up on the desktop of your old Mac. When you run the Logic 8 installer it should ask you for a destination drive. Choose your new Mac HD that is mounted on your Desktop.

Mar 19, 2012 1:00 PM in response to octopi

it did not work like that but it worked when I dragged the content after I completely downloaded the program in my old mac, the thing is now that it does not fully open the logic, it is missing some files that I already am finding and trying to dragg them also into the new mac, It worked a lot better like you said about dragging the items. also the firewire cable even though expensive it has proven to be very helpfull and quick

Mar 16, 2013 6:17 AM in response to CCTM

Hi CCT. Im trying to re-install logic 8 using pacify.

Here's where i'm upto so far:

Created disk image of each disk

Mounted each disk

Opened the packages on the main disk and installed each of them.

After I have installed all the packages on the main disk do i need to do the same for each other disk that is mounted? I hope my question is worded so you can understand what i mean!

Thanks

Mar 16, 2013 7:05 AM in response to CCTM

it didnt work when i tried it, it just kept crashing so im re-installing but using the mpkg file like you said is possible.

So i got all the disks mounted like this http://i.imgur.com/gk4Qmyx.jpg

and then pacifist is running like this at the minute http://i.imgur.com/1qMCqEw.png

is this right? what do i need to do next?

thanks for the help btw, youre a life saver

Mar 22, 2013 6:47 AM in response to olij2011

Hi, olij2011

I used Pacifist and my LP 8 discs to do a successful instal onto a new mac mini.

Run Pacifist.

When it opens ther eis a drop down menu that gives 4 options to open files. Choose the top one. Open rar etc pacjkages.

Then put in the LP installer disc [disc 1 in the package]

Pacifist will open it and load all the content. The it will ask you to insert al the other discs in the package, then after all these are loaded, it will ask for the install disc [ disc 1] again.

When this is complete start at the top and select each package in order. then select install files at default location from the file menu drop down

Pacifist will install everything for you. {NB make sure you install the jam packs and other content [about 49G] to an External HD, other wise it will clog your system drive when you run LP]

When all the packages are installed close Pacifist and click the LP icon in the Applications folder.

It shoukd open and ask for your serial number. Fill that in and enjoy! LP

regards,

Scorpii

Oct 10, 2013 2:39 AM in response to Scorpii

Hello Scorpii,

I have a new Imac and i tried using Pacifist as you said to install my Logic 8, with the 8 cds.

Pacifist opened all the content.

At the end of the process, i closed Pacifist.

I see the 'Logic" logo in the app section.

I clicked on it and i can't open Logic to enter the S/N.

I have a window saying to relaunch or ignore the failure. I press relaunch many times without success.

It won't open Logic.

I wonder where do i failed in the process?

Any help please? LP8 is legit and works fine in my 2010 mac book using Snow leopard.

Any way of having LP8 in mountain lion?

Thank a lot 🙂

Oct 10, 2013 5:10 AM in response to Judeuf

Hi, Judeuf.

When Pacifict has opened all the content you have to click on each installer and run them. Pacifist opens the DVDs. It doesn't install the program.

When you've run all the DVDs with Pacifist you should get a list of all the files.

Start at the top and find the first installer - Logic - and click it to run it.

When its finished, scroll down to the next installer and repeat. Do this until all have been run.

As each installer runs it may give you a dialogue box and ask for serial numbers [the logic one] and where to store extra content [jam packs etc] select locations as normal.

Each installer should run as it did when you installed Logic 8 on your original machine.

NB If you upgraded from ver 7 and licencsed it with an XS key this will need to be in a USB slot whenever you run LP 8.

Before you try again, delete any reference to LP 8 on your machine.

LP 8 works fine on my mac mini with Mountain Lion 10.8.5. It does have quirks though. Be patient and have fun when you get it installed.

Regards,

Scorpii

how can I install logic studio 8 in my new macbook 10.5.8 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.