Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad lock/unlock with smart cover doesn't work

Just picked my new iPad and loving it. :-)

One slight problem: the smart cover lock/unlock feature doesn't work regardless of the setting in the system > general option. I'm wondering if the magnet is strong enough in the smart cover? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:13 PM

25 replies

Jan 15, 2017 11:43 AM in response to Rob Hancox

I figure out my problem In the Passcode settings there is an option to require password immediately or after so many minutes. I had it set to require password after 5 minutes which was also the setting for Auto-Lock. So when it didn't require the passcode after closing the cover, I thought it wasn't locking the device like it should and it only eventually locking because of Auto-Lock.

Mar 18, 2012 9:11 AM in response to Rob Hancox

I have same issue with my Griffin case. But if I use the Apple protector, it works fine. The difference seems to be the thickness of the Griffin case. It is just thick enough that the magent doesnt engage the lock. Of I used the cover alone (without the thickness of the iPad holder) it activates just fine.

I guess is that the reed switch in the iPad3 is not as sensitive as the one in the iPad1/2.

Mar 19, 2012 6:45 AM in response to Rob Hancox

If you have one of the original Smart Covers (i.e., before the refresh in October 2011), then it may not work because of a polarity issue. See http://markshangout.com/blog/2012/3/17/ipad-3-smart-cover-sleepwake-feature-not- working.html for an explanation. I had the exact same thing. The smart cover worked fine for an iPad 2, but not on an iPad 3. Originally there was no Cover Lock/Unlock option under Settings > General, but I found that when you move the right side of the cover up and down the right side of the iPad, it will show up. I also noticed that when positioned normally on the new iPad, the smart cover won't lock/unlock the screen, even with the option turned on. It only worked when I misaligned the cover and iPad by about two inches, where the cover was sticking out at the top of the iPad.

If you bought the smart cover at an Apple store, you can go there and exchange it for the most recent version, which does work. (I wasn't so lucky as I bought my smart cover on Craig's List, so I had to buy a brand-new one at the Apple store. Bummer.)

Mar 19, 2012 7:33 AM in response to ClayG

ClayG,

The odds of an original Smart Cover working properly to sleep/wake an iPad 3 are probably 50/50 (because a magnet has just two poles). It's now obvious that Apple only recently (end of 2011) started making sure the magnet (to trigger the sleep/wake sensor) was oriented with the correct polarity for the iPad 3.

As Seattle_Dutch linked, the situation is explained in my blog posting:

http://markshangout.com/blog/2012/3/17/ipad-3-smart-cover-sleepwake-feature-not- working.html

Mark

iPad lock/unlock with smart cover doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.