Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad (3) won't charge while in use

Apart from running very hot while plugged in and in use, it seems that the New iPad uses more power than the charger supplies.

My battery meter slowly goes DOWN while in use and plugged in/charging instead of going UP!

Seems the only way to get the battery fully charged is to stop using it!

It's a 64GB Verizon 4G version.

(and, yes, the heat on the back of the thing is starting to bug me).

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 5:36 AM

83 replies

Mar 25, 2017 6:07 PM in response to Justinicus

Your saying it's not a serious issue, I am sure you will be out voted on this statement, For one thing it is a big issue people pay money for these devices, people should be able continue using a ipad while its on the charger apple messed and i bet they realized that by now from all the returns. maybe next apple should test their product first before putting out on the market. If i buy a tablet, or computer it better charge up no matter if im one it or not.

I wont be buying another Ipad thats for sure. ill have look at tablets ill ask before buying it if it will charge while in use, if not i want be buying that tablet either... it be a while before i ever buy a ipad again....

Mar 17, 2012 6:02 AM in response to Lexiepex

Well, it does charge, just not when I have it on. I'd guess there is enough power since it does charge.

I think the display might be causing the heat on the back when in use. My iPad 3 was very hot (and plugged in, charging but dropping in charge @ 93%) and I locked it and sat it down. 5-10 minutes later, I picked it up, and it's nice and cool and @ 95% charge.

It seems that using it (and I do have it at full brightness) and charging it, it gets hot and slowly drops in charge, but lock it and it cools down and charges.

Mar 18, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Darryl Mylrea

My new iPad was at 4%, plugged it in to charge, and now, 5 hours later, it's still only at 87%. :(

I notice it doesn't charge anymore while using it while it's charging. The battery runs down so incredibly quickly, and if I want it to charge up, I can't use it while it's plugged in.

This is a huge issue to me. I want to be able to use my iPad whenever I want to use it, and not have it out of commission for hours and hours at a time! I even went and bought the extra long charger yesterday mainly to be able to use my iPad while it's charging.

Does anyone think that Apple will come up with a solution to this problem?

Mar 18, 2012 9:47 AM in response to Lexiepex

Not entirely accurate. Per a kb article at Apple.com:

Apple peripheral devices may request more than 500 mA (Milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) from a port to function or to allow for faster charging. Such Apple peripheral devices include:

• Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive (when connected to supported computers)
  • Aluminum Wired Keyboard*
  • iPod
  • iPhone
  • iPad

To meet requests for additional power from these Apple peripherals and devices, some Apple computers and displays can provide up to 1100 mA at 5 V through the port to which the Apple peripheral or device is connected.

For whatever reason, my iPad has been much better for most of yesterday and today. As others have noted, it still does not increase it's charge while in use (nor does it discharge much, as though the charger is providing just enough power to run the iPad while in use). I think when I was first restoring everything and loading up apps, etc., it was running VERY HOT which probably meant it was drawing a lot of power from the battery, and the charger could not keep up (which meant the battery was slowly discharging).

Now that activity on my iPad is more normalized, it's not as hot, but still doesn't charge much while in use.

I'm sure Apple can do something to increase the charge rate so it does charge faster when asleep. My iPad 2 charged a bit too slow for my tastes and now the new iPad is even worse!

Mar 18, 2012 11:41 AM in response to Darryl Mylrea

Whoops! Hit wrong button. Hence "wi" post.

I am very disappointed that my new iPad 3rd gen will not charge while in use. This is a major drawback. In fact, I'm posting on my iPad 1st gen while waiting for my 3rd gen to recharge.

I hope apple can fix this. Meanwhile I will also try my own work-around: dim the screen and see if this allows a slow but definite charge. I'll report back later.

New iPad (3) won't charge while in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.