Skip navigation

Aperture view not updating after use of plugin

1477 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 1:06 PM by léonie RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Douglas Parks Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 18, 2012 12:02 PM

After the recent upgrade to Aperture I am having an issue with view.  If I go to a plugin, in this case lets say Nik Viveza 2, when I come back into the photo the filmstrip version is updated, however the larger view remains the same.  Some times when I toggle pictures I can get the view to update, but not always.  Going into another plugin will show the results of the previous.  Also an export has the corrections/enhancements in them, it is purely the view.

This was introduced with the 3.2.3 version.  I am running on Lion (updated).

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1)
  • léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,510 points)
    Mar 19, 2012 2:32 AM (in response to Douglas Parks)

Hello Douglas,

that seems to be a bug similar to the one we see when using Photoshop as an external editor, see this thread: saving from photoshop

Does the Viewer version update properly, if you quit Aperture and relaunch? With external edits in Photoshop this does seem to help.

Please send a Bug report to Apple - the more, the better:http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

Regareds

Léonie

• Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,455 points)
    Mar 19, 2012 9:43 AM (in response to léonie)

Is this bug with both Managed and Referenced images?

Since I am not using Photostream I have not bothered to update past 3.2.2, yet, in my Snow Leopard boot.  Later today I will update in my Lion boot, but there I am for the moment not using Photoshop as my External editor.  Not sure I trust Lion with all of Adobe Design Premium.

Ernie

• shuttersp33d Level 4 Level 4 (1,540 points)
    Mar 19, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to Douglas Parks)

I posted this in the threads for Photoshop round trips. Not sure if it works for plug-ins, but here it is:

If you resize the image a bit (make the Viewer or Split View window a little taller) or if you check one of the adjustment bricks in the Adjustments tab in the Inspector (toggle the Enhance brick on and off), I think you'll see the Preview update without having to quit Aperture.

Mar 19, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to shuttersp33d)

Hello shuttersp33d,

yes that is a clever trick. But does it work for you, if you edit the same image a second time with Photoshop? I still don't see the results of the second PS CS5 edit in any way it looks, as if Aperture overwrites the master files.

Regards

Léonie

• fetachin Calculating status...
    Mar 19, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to Douglas Parks)

I am having the same exact problem. Preview updates fine, but not image in viewer, though the changes are being made to the file. I have found that quitting and then restarting Aperture does get the image in the viewer to finally update and reflect all the plug-in edits made.

Mar 19, 2012 11:35 AM (in response to léonie)

I actually think that is the way Aperture always worked. You would have to make a new version if you wanted to keep one edit and add another round trip.

*And you don't actually mean Aperture is overwriting the original master, correct? You are referring to the round-tripped version, right?

Mar 19, 2012 11:37 AM (in response to shuttersp33d)

You would have to make a new version if you wanted to keep one edit and add another round trip.

I meant it the other way round: The new edits discarded and only the old edits showing: Aperture creates a new master image file when PS is called a second time, but the two masters overwrite each other and the new edits are lost.

• Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8 (37,455 points)
    Mar 19, 2012 11:51 AM (in response to léonie)

Leonie,

This is not correct.  Any Aperture adjustment done between trips to Photoshop are maintained, but applied to whatever PS next adjusts about the evolving quasi Master.  Try it, say with the minizing Saturation, then sending a 2nd time to PS, and then Save and return.

Ernie

Mar 19, 2012 12:01 PM (in response to Ernie Stamper)

Ernie, I know that that is how it is supposed to work -

that is exactly my concern here - right now ( since 3.2.3) am seeing something different:

• I edit an image in PS CS5, and a quasi master is created, and updated in the film strip
    • I edit it again in PS CS5, in the filmstrip appears a third version of the image and nothing I will do will bring the PS edits back to Aperture.

Regards, Léonie

Mar 19, 2012 12:12 PM (in response to léonie)

Hmm, when I send the round-tripped image to Photoshop again, no new version is created for me. The edits are applied to the same "edited with external editor " badged version, albeit after I do the little work around of re-sizing or toggling an adjustment brick on and off.

I am not adding any Aperture adjustments in between though...

Mar 19, 2012 12:38 PM (in response to Ernie Stamper)

Update:

I just made a test on my second laptop (MacOS 10.6.8): here is everything still as it is supposed to be; Photoshop keeps updating the current quasi master and with shuttersp33d's toggling of the edits I see the updated image send back from Photoshop - so far, so good.

But on my current system each successive call to PS creates a new Version/quasimaster - whatever it is, and no edits do show on this. So there seems to be an additional problem on my system ...

I am off to debugging 

Mar 19, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to léonie)

I was going to suggest that maybe you had the preference to "Create new versions when making adjustments" checked, but even when I checked that preference, Aperture still operated as expected, making the changes to the version that was sent to PS5 before, not creating a new version. Hmm...

Mar 19, 2012 12:48 PM (in response to shuttersp33d)

Thanks, shuttersp33, that was the first I checked

But meanwhile I found, that with my testlibrary everything works fine, so I started to repair my main library - hopefully then everything will be back to normal .

Cheers

Léonie

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.