Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can two apple IDs share the same library?

Mac newbie here needs some advice...

I just got a new iMac and have created separate accounts for my husband and me on it. We used to share an apple ID for music, but now I'd like for us to have our own apple IDs especially with the iCloud capabilities I don't want my iPhone stuff going to his Mac account, etc. Problem is that all his music is in my library and he doesn't want to have to re-buy it again. So I figured out that I can share my music library with his account on the iMac, and I have him signed in to iTunes with his separate Apple ID... good so far... but what's going to happen when he buys something? Will it go into my library (as some sort of combined one), or into a separate one?

The other issue I encountered is that when I went to enable automatic synchronization across devices for him, I got a message saying that it was already logged in with another apple ID (I'm assuming it was referring to mine?). That's not good.

I want us both to have totally separate IDs etc, especially for iCloud backups etc, but I wanted to be able to share music libraries. Is that possible? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 3:00 PM

12 replies

Mar 20, 2012 8:46 AM in response to Rysz

Sure, just use a common AppleID for your music/iTunes, and separate ones for iCloud and iMessage. You can have as many AppleIDs as you want (each does need an email address that is NOT already in use as an AppleID), and you can use a different AppleID for any Apple service (iTunes and App store, another for iMessage, another for iCloud, another for these forums,...).

On the computer with the iTunes master library, just login with shared AppleID, or alternatively, if you ONLY want to share the music you already have (and NOT share future purchases) log in with two AppleIDs (one at a time) and authorize each for use with that computer's iTunes library.

Note that purchased content is tied to the AppleID used when purchasing, so if you have an AppleID already used to buy music and other content or apps, that is the one you will want to share, so all that purchased content is shared. Then make other AppleIDs for the Apple services you want to keep separate.

https://appleid.apple.com/

Mar 18, 2012 3:57 PM in response to wendellg85

I want us both to have totally separate IDs etc, especially for iCloud backups etc, but I wanted to be able to share music libraries. Is that possible?

Would dearly love to know if that is possible, as well.

Have same issue: two users on one Mac, separete Contacts/mail/calendars, but sync both iPads to same iTunes and iPhoto libraries, without having to duplicate them on the second user's account.

Mar 20, 2012 9:13 AM in response to Rysz

If you want to share a single AppleID with a single iTunes Library, then simply sync both devices to that iTunes library using the same user account.

If you want to sync two AppleIDs to one iTunes library, in iTunes on the computer, login and authorize each AppleID, then sync the devices to that common iTunes library in the same user account.

You do not do anything on the device being sync'd itself - it all has to do with how iTunes that you are syncing to is set up and what AppleIDs are authorized there. You can sync multiple devices to iTunes, just be sure that each device gets a unique device name in the iTunes sidebar.

To then use unique AppleIDs for iCloud and iMessage on a iOS device, first, make an iCloud account with the AppleID you want to use (go to http://www.iCloud.com), then set up that iCloud account on the device with that ID and password. In iMessage, just log out with whatever AppleID you are using now, log in with the new AppleID and it will reauthorize, now linking that device with the new iMessage account just created with that AppleID (your iMessage primary account ID is always the AppleID used to initially create and verify the iMessage account).

Feb 13, 2014 3:23 PM in response to wendellg85

I have a somewhat different yet same problem. Husband and I have two established iPad's , I now have a new one and want to move his things from his ipad2 over to my ipad3. At this time we share the same id for the store and want to keep that, and the icloud account is the same as the main,also store, account. I want both of us, or at least husband, to have a seprate iCloud id. Can I keep my connected to same and have him change hi, how?

I just upgraded my icloud storage so fear if I deflate my icloud account that is apple account I will loose my upgraded storage. So really only want to give husband new icloud account.

Feb 14, 2014 5:53 AM in response to Katt56

Backup his iPad 2, then restore your iPad 3 from that backup. Make sure that on your iPad 3 you are signed in with the AppleID you wish to use for the iTunes/App stores, iMessage, and iCloud (these need not be the same AppleID for any of those three - use whichever AppleID you specifically wish to use for each particular service).

On his iPad 2, go into settings for messaging and LOGOUT with the AppleID you do NOT want him to use, then log back in with his new AppleID. Similarly, under settings, delete the iCloud account associated with the AppleID you do NOT want him to use, and then log in with new AppleID for his own iCloud account.

Your iCLoud account and storage is tied to your AppleID, not any particular device. Just delete the iCloud account from the device you do not want, and add that same iCloud account to the device you do want.

Under your iCloud account settings, if you go to the manage your storage section, you could then delete the (old) iPad 2 backup files since he will now be backing up the iPad 2 to his own iCloud account.

Apr 22, 2014 7:14 PM in response to wendellg85

This isn't quite getting to the issue we have. We each have an apple ID on our personal devices now, but prior to the invention of the iphone or the ipad, we had 2 separate apple IDs that we used for purchases. we have since stopped using one of the accounts for purchases, but it still has $20 in it. If I use up the $20 with the lesser used ID, will all that content still be in the one library used for all other purchases and saved on my PC? Or, does it create its own library for each separate ID?

There needs to be a way to merge accounts and libraries.

Can two apple IDs share the same library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.