Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know it's a new iPad?

I have an iPad sitting on my desk. Nothing to compare it to. How do I know it's a new iPad and not an iPad 2?

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 8:39 PM

23 replies

Mar 19, 2012 3:29 AM in response to Fabe

Michalel, it is has dictation.

Christian, the model number is indeed Aq430.

Dillon, I was ready to take a crowbar to it and check the chip, but other options presented themselves. I did like the serialnumber idea.

Thanks to all.

Now, who put this thing on my dsk in the first place? - Fabe

Mar 23, 2012 4:56 AM in response to Fabe

Hi Fabe, did u just mistyped Aq430 for A1430?

I'm planning to buy one here in our country but unfortunately it's not released here yet.

There are some stores claiming that they are already selling the new ipad here. Maybe they bought it in Singapore or US.

Except for taking it apart, are all these mentioned TRUE?
- A1430
- Dictation ( where is this seen? Notes, maybe? or just any app with keyboard )

- https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
I bought an iPad2 for my mom but don't know what's the physical difference of the iPad2 box from the 'New iPad'.

Is the new ipad's camera at the back larger from ipad2? similar to iphone4? (coz i have an iphone4)

Mar 23, 2012 5:15 AM in response to Christian Greenberg

Christian Greenberg wrote:

Very simple solution: On the back of your iPad, below the "iPad" and "xxGB" (capacity), there is some small text (4 lines). Read the first line of the small text and check out if there is "Model A1430" written on it. If yes, you have the new iPad. If not, you have very likely the iPad 2.

That NOT the only model number associated with the new iPad.

Mar 23, 2012 5:28 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Apparently the model number of the new iPad depends on what version of this device you have. I don't know which one sports the number "Model A1430", but not mine. My new iPad, with 64GB memory, WiFi only, is "Model A1416". I know it is the new iPad because it definitely has Dictation. BTW... for the person who asked how to know if you have Dictation... Bring up the Keyboard with any app that allows for typing text -- like creating an email, for example. If you see a little microphone on one of the keys in the middle of the keyboard, then you have the new Dictation app, which means you have the NEW iPad.

Mar 23, 2012 6:19 AM in response to rikinva

I am sorry, the new iPad has 3 different model numbers (I assumed that it was only one).

Here is the complete list of the model numbers for the new iPad:

iPad WiFi only: A1416

iPad 4G AT&T: A1430

iPad 4G Verizon: A1403

To make it easier for you guys: Just keep in mind the A14, the iPad 2 and iPad 1 have A13 and A12.

Sorry for the confusion.

How do I know it's a new iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.