Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new ipad charger is heating up to 130 degrees while charging, is that normal?

I have been the the store twice and they tell me that they think it may be ok but keep an eye on it. After 2 iPad's and 7 iphone's I would expect a better anwser than that. Is that normal or should I worry or demand a replacement.

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 1:04 PM

29 replies

Mar 5, 2017 10:33 PM in response to Mtdggg

I know this answer is really late, sorry, but no, the current that you have in your house is Alternating Current (AC) which means it's flowing one way, then it stops, then it starts going the other way, so both pins do the same thing, the job of your charger is to transform this into direct current (DC which flows one way only and is required for both your iPad and battery operation), the charger is also a transformer which reduces the voltage from approximately 120 volts to 5 volts (when using iPad charger) or to approximately 3 volts (for iPhones), this process releases a lot of heat.

So heating is completely normal, the problem is that when the transformer (white "box" of your charger) heats too much it may end up becoming useless or, in the most extreme cases, catch fire. So keep your charger in a ventilated or cool place and use a wall socket instead.

Mar 22, 2012 1:15 PM in response to BFrank4321

Honestly, this hole 'over heating' thing seems silly I would say that's hot but I have transformers charging/powering my home disability alarm which are to hot to touch almost, and that's normal, I tried three!! I would have asked for a replacement just to be safe, but considering the iPad is almost all battery I'm not surprised, mine gets hot, think of a laptop charger, and how hot that gets...

Mar 22, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Apfelwurm

Apfelwurm wrote:

BFrank4321 wrote:

Yes, 130 degrees fahrenheit.

OK, I haven't measured the temperature of my charger when it is busy, but 130°F feels really hot to the touch and sounds about right. The charger should then be used in a well ventilated place.

As a data point, I just charged my new iPad from 80% to 100% in the last hour and I would estimate the temperature to have been about 102-104 deg F at the 95% charge point. It has now reached 100% and the charger is once again at room temperature. I base my estimate on many years of feeling the foreheads of my kids followed by a thermometer measurement. 😀

Anyway, it did not get very warm during the hour of charging.

My new ipad charger is heating up to 130 degrees while charging, is that normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.