Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP error on MacBook Air (NOT using external display)

I just downloaded a HD (720p) movie through iTunes, and cannot play it on my Mac becuase of a HDCP non-compliance error. I am running it directly on my MBA, not through an external display... I would have thought the MBA integrated display would be HDCP compliant! Is this an error or am I wrong in assuming my MBA could play legally purchased HD movies?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 11:58 PM

17 replies

Aug 5, 2012 4:20 PM in response to JayWalker82

I'm having the same issue. I'm trying to watch HD content on a 10 month old MBA with the newest version of iTunes.

The firmware update is for Lion and I upgraded to Mountian Lion. ML seems to be the issue for me. I didn't have this problem before I upgraded.

If I have to watch movies in SD , I'm going to buy them from Amazon. At least I won't have to pay for a format I can't use.

Jan 31, 2013 10:20 PM in response to JayWalker82

I just had the same problem. I downloaded 3 TV seasons and they have been working fine until today...after searching through many forums and not finding anything I thought maybe quitting Itunes and a restart may work and it DID! This seems to be some terrible glitch linked to mainly connecting to other monitors it seems. (I connected my iphone 5 last night to DL these shows and maybe it had something to do with it not working today?) Who knows, just try restarting first and hope for the best.

Nov 26, 2013 4:59 AM in response to JayWalker82

Try a System Management Control reset (SMC)

Whilst the machine is plugged into power, Hold down the left side shift control and option buttons at the same time as the power on button.

Hold these down for 4 seconds and relese all at the same time.

If this fails then you may need to clear the caches folder for your user too.

HDCP error on MacBook Air (NOT using external display)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.