Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV3 unable to load Home Sharing after waking from prolonged sleep

Purchased two ATV3 last weekend. They can connect and use Home Sharing via iTunes without any issues for about 24 hours. For whatever reason, they both seem to lose the ability to find the Home Library daily. Restarting the ATV3s does not resolve the issue. Shutting down iTunes and launching iTunes resolves the issue. The issue does not happen while the ATV3 are playing video or music. The issue seems to happen after the devices have been asleep for some time (several hours)

• Running iTunes 10.6.0.40 on Windows 7 64-bit
  • Share my Local Library under Sharing Preferences is enabled. Share entire library is checked.
  • Both ATV3 devices have different names other than the default
  • One device is connected via WiFi the other is connected via Ethernet
  • iTunes.exe is set as an exception in Windows Firewall
  • Airport Extreme 3rd generation is running 7.6.1

Any suggestions other than not putting the devices to sleep?

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:59 PM

13 replies

Apr 1, 2012 4:42 AM in response to Callaway7

Try to assign a static IP address to your AppleTV.

I had the same problem as you but since I assigned static IP address everything works fine.

So now I have done that with all my units

In my router the DHCP range is set between 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.29 and I have assigned 10.0.0.30 to 10.0.0.45 to all my units.

That way you will never have any conflicts.

Since I did that nothing has ever lost connection.

I use an Airport Extreme on my cable modem.

Hope it helps.

Apr 1, 2012 9:18 AM in response to sbernberg

I called Apple support last week. The rep confirmed she has heard about this issue before and suggested uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes per http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925 That unfortunately did not resolve the issue. I tried a restore on both Apple TVs, that did not resolve the issue. I'll try the static IPs next.

In regards to pressing the menu, that will bring you back to the main screen but once you click on the Computer icon, you're stuck waiting for 2-5 minutes while the Loading Home Library window appears. Sometimes an error message will appear "Unable to Connect" and other times the screen will just change back to the main AppleTV window with Netflix, MLB, etc. Restarting iTunes fixes the issue every time

May 6, 2012 7:25 AM in response to Callaway7

I have the same problem although am running itunes on a mac mini (brand new). Its not just the Apple TV that loses the library, all iOS devices lose access after about a day as well.

Given quitting and restarting itunes fixes it I'm getting pretty convinced this is just some bug in the latest iTunes update. NEVER had problems before.

May 15, 2012 8:44 AM in response to Callaway7

I had the same issue with running iTunes on a Mac. Once the mac was gone to sleep mode and woke up neither ATV2 nor any other iTunes in the network was able to get a connection to iTunes.

I wrote a little tool (for Mac, sorry no Windows) that has to run on the Mac offering the iTunes library. The app detects returning from sleep mode and pokes itunes a bit. This way all my devices were able to a) wake up the itunes-mac and b) ATV2 was able to get the content.

I've not tested with ATV3 but I guess it's the same iTunes issue. If anyone is interested - Download: http://penck.de/beta/PokeTunes.zip

Directions:

Unzip, run App, bring your Mac to sleep, try to connect from ATV.

Jul 9, 2012 6:28 PM in response to Callaway7

I am having the same issue. Worked fine for a couple months then just started having the same issue as Callaway7. Tried everything but running a script as this is something apple should address, especially since it worked at one time.

I am running the latest software/firmware on my iMac, airport extreme, and ATVs. Also, my ATVs and iMac are on my home cat 5 connections and not wireless.

Hope an update comes out with a fix. I just sent a support request to apple so we will see if they can fix it tomorrow via their telephone support.

ATV3 unable to load Home Sharing after waking from prolonged sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.