Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The New iPad - Poor Battery - not impressed :(

Hello All,

I waited for the new ipad for 5 months before i bought it last week, I was super excited to buy the new one. After using my first tablet(the new ipad), i was very happy and impressed initial few days, with the web browsing and all other features. But i was disappointed with few things listing below.

1.Bad Battery Life - Only listening music works good and shows more battery life. Like 3 hours contineous music play, only brings down the battery by 1-2%. But 5 mins of facebook/email browsing it is like 1% of battery usage. Again if i play a simple game like chess, for 10 mins game it uses 2-3% of battery.

2.Takes too long to charge - Not sure how much time it takes from 0-100%charging, but from 40 to 100% it takes roughly 4+ hours. Here again i am very disappointed.

3.Cannot be charged from laptop - This is what i was not expecting from apple products. It cannot be charged from laptops, saying "Not Charging" message near the battery icon. Upon contacting apple care, they told some laptops are not powerful enough to charge the ipad. disgusting !!

4.Heating problem - Sometimes when i play games or browse anything, it heats up. I am not sure if it is due to the metalic body or it was also there with ipad2 too.

5.Flash - Though i new its not supporting flash, but apple peoples should also add this faciltity to support flash. This is required when you are considering it as a replacement of your laptop. Because u may need this to watch online movies and all. Though i am not much worried about this issue, but other 4 issues have really dissapointed me.

So can any one suggest, if you are also facing same problems ?

what do you recomment, to return it back and go for other options like galaxy tab ?

is it problem with my battery or a generic issue ?

Any suggestion/advice are welcome. Thanks in advance.

~P

iPad, iOS 5.1, The New IPAD

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 11:52 AM

28 replies

Mar 29, 2012 12:03 PM in response to PB@Apple

1. You're complaining that using features of the device uses the battery? Typical battery life is 10 hours, as has been shown in many real-world usage reviews.

2. It's a high capacity battery. The higher the capacity, the longer it takes to charge. If it wasn't a high-capacity battery you'd be moaning that the battery didn't last as long as it does - and you're already moaning about that.

3. Yes, it can - if your laptop provides enough power to the USB ports. It takes 10v from the wall charger. Again, it's a high capacity battery. Charging from a USB port takes even longer than from the wall charger. I thought you wanted it to charge more quickly?? If you want to charge it from a laptop, without it taking many days, get a decent laptop that provides enough power to the USB ports.

4. Yes. Electronic devices get warm whilst in use. Does your laptop or TV stay cold to the touch when in use?

5. Flash is dead. Adobe have discontinued it for mobile devices.

Mar 29, 2012 12:01 PM in response to PB@Apple

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Charging Tips

The quickest way to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter. When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

Mar 29, 2012 12:24 PM in response to PB@Apple

1) battery loss according to you= 8.33 hours of chess.

2) big batteries take hours to charge, even laptops take a while to charge.

3) buy a laptop with hi-power USB ports, it will charge.

4) this has been proven to be FUD spread by anti-Apple agents. http://www.macworld.com/article/1166068/not_so_hot_new_ipad_heat_levels_comparab le_to_android_tablets.html

5) non issue. Adobe has killed mobile flash for all devices.

Mar 29, 2012 12:40 PM in response to PB@Apple

To be honest there are some good points that your are talking about. The battery issue is one that they have been mentioning almost everyday on my local San Fran news. If you lived in this area, everybody is talking about it.

I have owned all three ipad generation's, and I could say this one has the most battery issues. I am sure there is likely to be an update around the corner. My ipad 2nd gen gets way better battery life than my, new ipad 3rd gen. My biggest complaint with this new ipad I noticed is that when you turn the brightness up, your battery life is shortened to just a couple of hours. However, if I am playing a game in the dark and can turn down the brightness to it's lowest setting, it almost goes to a complete halt. I think brightness is an issue that a lot of people don't bring up.

You also make a good point about charging. It seems like I am always charging this new IPAD, I use my Iphone adaptor charger in my car, which I never did with my other Ipads, and when I get home from work I usually plug it in and use my other ipad's. If you use this ipad a lot, it seems like you need to buy two of them.

Mar 29, 2012 12:47 PM in response to Ford Yuki

Seriously?

Cranking up the brightness on a display causes it to use more power?

The screen on the iPad is the biggest drain on the battery?

Why doesn't anyone else know about this?

Thanks so much for bringing up what should be obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together.

You are like a superhero-we should call you Captain Obvious!

Mar 29, 2012 1:18 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

1)You are very bad at your math. if 10 mins of chess consume 2.5%, then to 100% battery will work for 400 mins i.e.6.6 hours.

Edit - I have not yet tested high defination games like nfs and so

2)My high end & latest dell laptop doesnt take 1-2 hours max to charge full. But my ipad appx 7 hours.

3)"hi-power" USB ports, it will charge - any example of hi-power USB ?

5)flsh - non issue ? i know

Note : I am not complaining about this product..Even i love all other things except the battery realted things. Probably before using this i had set my expectations from apple too high and thats why probably i am bit disapponted.

Mar 30, 2012 9:44 AM in response to Dave Robertson2

Dave Robertson2 wrote:

The thing about flash which I hadn't realized at first is some of the core features just can't work on a touchscreen (mouse-overs, for example.)

Adobe Flash 10.1 which was the first mobile release fixed this. The Virtual Machine automatically converts mouseEvents to touchEvents, and so on.

When Steve Jobs made his claim about Flash and mouse overs there was no mobile Flash Player, he was only assuming that Adobe would port over the Desktop version without such changes, and assumed this would be an issue, which we now see was incorrect.

However the irony of it, is that because Adobe is a single entity they were able to do these auto-convertions within the player easily, allowing Flash content to not have to be re-written for touch screens.... and now here is the irony, html, which Steve Jobs claimed should be used due to these mouse issues, still need to be re-built for touch screens, as the w3c that controls the html standard are not able to put in place the same technique Adobe did for Flash.

So on this point, Steve Jobs was actually backwards about his claims that Flash would not work on touch screens and would need ot be re-built in html, because the fact is Flash auto-converts, where html needs to be re-written.

People who have never used mobile flash on a mobile device need to stop spreading these lies. Steve Jobs made his claims about mobile Flash almost 6 months before mobile flash even existed.

Mar 30, 2012 10:51 AM in response to PB@Apple

PB@Apple wrote:

1)You are very bad at your math. if 10 mins of chess consume 2.5%, then to 100% battery will work for 400 mins i.e.6.6 hours.

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown (ignore any low level alerts that may appear).

Mar 30, 2012 12:27 PM in response to PB@Apple

It just might be that you bought the wrong device. All of your complaints are borderline ridiculous.

1. Your ipad, or any other device, will consume more battery if you're using an internet connection. There is no way around this.

2. It's a high capacity battery. That charges faster at first then slows down the process of filling up its charge to extend your battery's useful life and prevent it from exploding.

3. You're right, it is disgusting that some 'laptops' are designed so poorly that the power output is only good enough to light up an LED for 9 seconds. See this is why the MacBook Air is more expensive, but far superior to any of those 'bargain' netbooks they sell for peanuts. In short, you need a real laptop.

4. It's a bunch of things. One of those is the high capacity battery. There is also a lot of pixels in your iPad. And electrical components which will evidently heat up. If it's too hot, dim down the lights, and put it down a little bit. Or better yet, buy a protective case for it. It will isolate the heat and when you accidentally drop it you won't be coming here to complain that 'the ipad has a bad design because i dropped it and it has a dent'.

5. Flash. Yes, such a marvelous thing that even Adobe gave up on. Flash is on its way out. the iPad and everything else that doesn't support it are moving things forward, rather than dangle the flash worm for customers to bite the bait then complain that their tablet device is junk.

The problem here is not that 'we are all apple fans getting angry at you for your criticism' it's that you purchased something without taking the time to find out if it was right for you, based on your needs and capacity to work with it using the tools at your disposal. If you feel another tablet would be better for you, by all means, go ahead, send the iPad back and use the money to buy a Galaxy, or maybe a Playbook

The New iPad - Poor Battery - not impressed :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.