Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv keeps dropping home sharing connection.

Just purchased ATV2 and everything is working fine when it comes to useing youtube and itunes store etc. But when useing it with Home Sharing after about 5 min into a film it stops and says that i have to connect to home sharing on the computer. So i go on to iTunes and it says that its already connected. So what I do is turn off home sharing in the Advanced drop down menu in iTunes and then turn it back on again and it works for a further 5 mins and then it comes up with that message again. Can anyone tell me any tips on how to resulve this probelem.

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 7:23 AM

230 replies

Apr 1, 2012 10:28 AM in response to declanhogg

I have the same problem. The Apple TV (2012) simply cuts off playback and shows a message that Home Sharing needs to be enabled on the PC (Win7).

What works for the short term is to start playback on the PC and stream the video to your Apple TV using AirPlay (bottom right in iTunes). You can do this using the Remote app too if you will, however that requires Home Sharing to function.

Apr 1, 2012 7:52 PM in response to rgoldd

Same thing here, I exchanged another ATV3 after called support, tried restore, reset factory setting.

Airplay from iphone and ipad worked for around 45min and cuts off or whole movie without drop if I am lucky, need to restart ATV3 all the time just to bring back airplay only.

I gave up on home sharing from itunes in my OS X (which is not pick up itunes at all times). just desperately waiting for Apple have update on fixing it.

apple tv keeps dropping home sharing connection.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.