Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Message - "This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed."

Hi Apple Communities

I was trying to sync my iphone with my iTunes today. But the following error message came out of the blue which never happened before:

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run iTunes Installer to remove iTunes, then install 64-bit version of iTunes."

Hence, I uninstalled iTunes in my Windows Control Panel and then reinstall again the software which I downloaded from iTunes website. iTunes was installed successfully but I still have the same error message when I tried to connect my iPhone to my laptop to sync with iTunes.

I am using Windows 7 for my iTunes.

If anyone can help advise what to do will be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 4:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 2:05 PM

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run iTunes Installer to remove iTunes, then install 64-bit version of iTunes."

Let's try a standalone Apple Mobile Device Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of why it's not installing under normal conditions.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi (or AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi) to do a standalone AMDS install.

(If it offers you the choice to remove or repair, choose "Remove", and if the uninstall goes through successfully, see if you can reinstall by doubleclicking the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi again.)

Does it install (or uninstall and then reinstall) properly for you?

If instead you get an error message during the install (or uninstall), let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2012 2:05 PM in response to Beau3009

Let's try a standalone Apple Mobile Device Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of why it's not installing under normal conditions.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi (or AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi) to do a standalone AMDS install.

(If it offers you the choice to remove or repair, choose "Remove", and if the uninstall goes through successfully, see if you can reinstall by doubleclicking the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi again.)

Does it install (or uninstall and then reinstall) properly for you?

If instead you get an error message during the install (or uninstall), let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

Sep 26, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Beau3009

I am having the same problem as BenderBennett.

"the installer encountered errors before Apple Mobile Device Support could be configured. Your system has not been modified. To retry these operations at a later time, please run the installer again"

The problems started when ugrading iTunes. The first problem was that the "Apple Mobile Device Service" was greyed out. I couldn't stop, start, disable or do anything with it. I have tried the following in the last two days which has gotten me to this point:

uninstalled all Apple Apps, deleted all Apple Files and directories, and cleaned out the Apple and iTunes registry entries, run 3 registry cleaners, copied the necessary files and registry entries from a working machine.

I have also tried the install with antivurus disabled and running as administrator. Using process monitor to watch msiexec.exe during the install of AMDS, I don't see anything that would appear to be a show stopper although I am still looking through the 954,000 entries during the install.

Sep 26, 2012 12:26 PM in response to Beau3009

After comparing registry entries from an older version of iTunes with iTunes 10.7.0.21, my Windows 7 64 bit machine was missing the section below. NOTE: THIS IS A 64 BIT MACHINE. I checked one of my 32 bit machines and this entry does not exist. I used the following info below in a .reg file to update the registry and rebooted. Hopefully the version number in the first section is correct.

My iPad and iPhones are successfully connecting to iTunes now.

Making registry changes can mess up your computer, this is only intended to help with your troubleshooting, I am not saying this will definitely fix your problem, or even saying you should do this. Don't trust me with your computer. 🙂

------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apple Inc.\Apple Mobile Device Support]

"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\"

"Version"="6.0.0.59"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apple Inc.\Apple Mobile Device Support\Shared]

"ASMapiInterfaceDLL"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\AppleSyncMapiInterface.dll"

"AirTrafficHostDLL"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\AirTrafficHost.dll"

"MobileDeviceDLL"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\MobileDevice.dll"

"iTunesMobileDeviceDLL"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Apple\\Mobile Device Support\\iTunesMobileDevice.dll"

---------------------------------------------------------

Dec 26, 2012 8:21 AM in response to nedim88

I just had the same problem again upgrading to iTunes 11.0.1 on a 64-bit machine. It wouldn't see my devices after upgrading. The Apple Mobile Device Support install would roll back every time. The registry entries mentioned above were not the problem this time. I ran the AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi from a command prompt with msiexec and used the logging option. The log showed me that there was an issue installing the driver netaapl64.sys. I used 7-zip to extract the AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi, and then ran the follwing with the extracted files:

pnputil -i -a netaapl54.inf

This still didn't fix he problem, so I ran

pnputil -i -a usbaapl64.inf

After running both of these and restarting, iTunes would see my iPads, iPods, and iPhones.

I hope they fix this. It is becoming a pain to have to troubleshoot the install for every iTunes update.

Aug 9, 2013 8:29 PM in response to Beau3009

Found the solution in this webiste as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2275503?start=0&tstart=0

Here's the fix from user Quimbinator:

I got it. I just first uninstalled iTunes then this:
1.Open up the Command Prompt as an Administrator (Go to All Programs > Accessories and Right Click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator)
2.Type cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64
3.Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll (This registers VB Script with your computer.)
4.Now install iTunes as you normally would by double clicking on the install program and wait for iTunes to finish installing.
5.Type regsvr32 /u vbscript.dll (This unregisters VB Script with your computer.)

This worked for both my iPhone and iPod Touch just now! 🙂 Even if the solution was published years back, it still works! Try it! 🙂

Message was edited by: ashteekiens

Feb 10, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Beau3009

I figured it out for me. I am on Windows 8.1 and I had an old version of the mobile drivers in common files/apple/US...etc.. for the name but was missing the 64 at the end. I also had a program files 86x that was missing the mobile entirely. Because it was in the 32 bit common the installer figures it doesn't need to install the 64 bit. You need to delete the apple folder from common in the 32 bit folder and reinstall iTunes. Making sure that bonjour, apple updater and apple helper for 32 bit and 64 bit get uninstalled too before reinstalling.

Error Message - "This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.