Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2015 12:22 PM by bobseufert
lvmedic3214 Level 4 Level 4

I am trying to build my schedule on calendars with my iPad. I would like to put in my work schedule but I don't work the same days every week. I am looking for a way to copy paste/duplicate entries so I don't have to keep inputting them. Because I don't work the same days each week/month I can't use the repeat feature. I have tried a long press to copy and paste but it moves the whole event and doesn't duplicate it. Is there a way to do this? I have found that I can do this on my Macbook Pro in iCal and then it updates the iPad through iCloud but I would like to do it with my iPad because I have the iPad and iPhone with me all the time and the Macbook stays at home.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + 4G (VZ), iOS 5.1
Reply by PiperDude on Sep 4, 2012 7:50 AM Helpful

As you know by now, there is now way to copy and paste (drag and drop duplicate) iPad Calendar events. However, I have found a workaround that allows you to duplicate an event and place the duplicates in various dates on your Calendar. NOTE: This is probably not too practical for making a single copy, but it does save time and keystrokes for multiple copies.  In Calendar, tap on the event you want to duplicate and select Edit. In the Edit window select Repeat. In the Repeat window select Every Day, then tap Done to take you back to the Edit menu.  Tap End Repeat and select an end date that will give you the number of copies you want (e.g., if the original event date is 11/12 and you want 5 copies, select 11/17 as the End Repeat date.  Tap Done twice to return to the Calendar. Then just drag the Repeats/Copies to the various dates where you want them placed (works best in Month view). When you finish each drag/drop, you will get a "This is a repeating event" pop-up window; you need to select "Save for this event only."

All replies

• ThompsonTB Level 1 Level 1

I have the same question.  If iPad Calendar can't copy/paste events for irregularly repeating dates, that is a serious limitation.

• cptsopiens Level 1 Level 1

I find this to be a major bummer also.  On the Mac, a simple option drag drop works great.  They need to create a button to hold while you drag drop on the iPad.  I also like to do most of my scheduling on iPad.

• PiperDude Level 1 Level 1

As you know by now, there is now way to copy and paste (drag and drop duplicate) iPad Calendar events. However, I have found a workaround that allows you to duplicate an event and place the duplicates in various dates on your Calendar. NOTE: This is probably not too practical for making a single copy, but it does save time and keystrokes for multiple copies.  In Calendar, tap on the event you want to duplicate and select Edit. In the Edit window select Repeat. In the Repeat window select Every Day, then tap Done to take you back to the Edit menu.  Tap End Repeat and select an end date that will give you the number of copies you want (e.g., if the original event date is 11/12 and you want 5 copies, select 11/17 as the End Repeat date.  Tap Done twice to return to the Calendar. Then just drag the Repeats/Copies to the various dates where you want them placed (works best in Month view). When you finish each drag/drop, you will get a "This is a repeating event" pop-up window; you need to select "Save for this event only."

• qwertykey Level 1 Level 1

PiperDude,

Great workaround! However, the ability to copy and paste an event is such a basic function that it should be included in the Calendar App to begin with. Maybe if enough people like these posts, we'll get some feed back from Apple.

• GrumpyGator Level 5 Level 5

You can submit feedback for apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

• Apple owner since 2012 Level 1 Level 1

I'm brand new to apple and this is a problem for me.  I just bought my first ipad and iPhone this month. I'll probably end up downloading a different calendar that has this capability.  The work around is a great solution unless you're like me and your event repeats every week on the same day, but also on another day of the week or even more.  A simple option in the repeat where you check the days of the week you want it to repeat on seems so simple. My wife was just trying to enter an event that lasts the month of December every Monday and Friday the same time both days. Such a common task that's not so easy to schedule on the ipad.

Ipad 4 and iPhone 5

• lvmedic3214 Level 4 Level 4

I figured out that you can create an appointment then duplicate it on the same day mutiple times and then just move the duplicates to the days you want them. It is a **** poor work around but at least it is better than retyping them all or creating the event on all days and deleting the days you don't want.

How do you duplicate on the same day? I couldn't figure that out. I even tried to put it on multiple calendars but it only lets me select one.

• lvmedic3214 Level 4 Level 4

My mistake. It was on my Mac that I was able to do that sorry for the confusion.

• KarlScott Level 1 Level 1

I agee with all the above.  How can such a basic facility be missing from a key functional app?  Apple needs to address this - preferably quickly!

• S Lucam Level 1 Level 1

Using the Easy Calendar app (iPhone iPad) is easier ...

Can you post a link to the calendar you are referring to please?  I don't mind paying for a calendar, but I want to know that it does what I want first.  I found a few that say "easy calendar" and just want to make sure I get the one you say will do this.  Thanks!

• kinner11 Level 1 Level 1

WeekCal is a great app that addresses all my problems with iCal for the iPad and iPhone.

• teeterbug Level 1 Level 1

I too would like to be able to duplicate entries on my iphone/iPad using the drag and drop method. My schedule changes from week to week and day to day. Let's hope this gets back to apple so they will fix this.

Previous 1 2 Next