Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I buy a new MacBook Pro (Lion) and DOWNgrade it to Snow Leopard?

I want new hardware but *not* Lion. Can I take my Snow Leopard disk from when I bought it retail (to upgrade an older computer) and run the installer on a brand new (2012 vintage) MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 2:35 PM

12 replies

Apr 4, 2012 2:42 PM in response to greid

Not easily if at all.

The newest models would require Snow Leopard 10.6.8, but the most recent Snow Leopard DVDs only can install 10.6.3. They will not even boot the 2011-12 models.

You would need to start by installing 10.6.3 onto a USB flash drive (16 GBs.) Then you need to download the 10.6.8 Combo Updater to update the installation to 10.6.8. You could then boot the MBP from this USB flash drive, partition the hard drive, then clone the system from the flash drive to the new partition.

Caveat: There's no guarantee that this will work. And, it will not work for new MBAs or Minis.

Apr 4, 2012 3:04 PM in response to greid

I guess part of what I'm looking for is someone who has actually tried it. That's the beauty of forums (in theory at least). If I attempt it, I will post my results. I combed through the forum and found lots of advice of things that "might" work, but no evidence of anyone actually trying it 🙂

Apr 4, 2012 3:12 PM in response to greid

Well, the nature of these forums is people seek help. They follow-up on a suggestion that works, then they are happy campers. Mostly they only come back again when somthing doesn't work.

Nevertheless, my suggestion and Niel's provide two alternatives you can try neither of which imperils your computer, so why would you be reticent to try one even if it doesn't work? Both of us are telling you to do the exact same thing just different implementations - USB hard drive versus USB flash drive. The latter is cheaper if you don't have either and cheaper if you don't have an external hard drive.

Ball's in your park.

Apr 4, 2012 3:19 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy. I'm not reticent to try these techniques per se -- I'm reticent to buy a new computer if it forces me to run Lion.

There are a number of reasons for this, not the least of which is a [hopefully temporary] dependency on legacy apps that require Rosetta, which is not support on Lion. There are other reasons, not the least of which is that Lion sort of suques.

My other choices are to look into adding memory, or a solid-state drive, to extend the life of my existing hardware.

Thanks for your help. I haven't decided whether or not to buy a new computer yet, but I would like to know if anyone has actually accomplished this downgrade, before I decide.

Apr 4, 2012 3:23 PM in response to greid

I don't think you've ever used Lion. There isn't very much different from Snow Leopard in day to day use. And, it's quite reliable from my experiences. I've installed it on a half dozen computers without any problems.

Then you do have the choice of buying a "new" used computer or an Apple refurb that will run Snow Leopard. In any event I think your dislike of Lion is based on other people's opinions rather than any direct experience.

Frankly, I'm surprised you still use PPC-only applications if you now use Snow Leopard. Most people upgrade.

Apr 4, 2012 3:28 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks again, Kappy, but you don't know anything about me, do you?

Your tone is getting a bit condescending. I appreciate your helpfulness in answering my question, but I am appreciating less and less your editorializing on what you think I should do, and why. And I don't appreciate at all your insinuation that I have not seen Lion, or used it, or have any direct experience. Go look at my profile, and click on my LinkedIn profile, if you want. I know my options, probably a lot better than you do.

What I don't know -- and still don't -- is if it is possible to run Snow Leopard on the 2012 Macbooks. And, as you have pointed out, neither do you.

Apr 4, 2012 7:15 PM in response to greid

If you put SL on a new Mac, you're begging for trouble, IMHO. Apple has a track record of making new macs that will only run on a new OS. You received some advice on how it *might* work.

Even if someone told you how they made it work, 10.6.9 (if it comes to be) or any other update from Apple could break an unsupported install of 10.6 on a new Mac. You probably realize that what you're asking is essentially a hack, and as such making it work once is no guarantee of future success.

If you want a stable, reliable Mac, you're goiing in the wrong direction. If anything goes bad, and you have to call Apple for help, they will likley tell you to install Lion before they try to help, as they are not likely to support an older OS on a new Mac.

Your best bet is to get a refurbed Mac from Apple or eBay, or wherever else.

No, I can't tell you how to do it or if it will work. I'm just saying that if someone tells you how to make it work once, will they be there to help you when your Mac crashes because you're trying to run an unsupported OS?

Apr 5, 2012 5:17 AM in response to greid

Extract from A. Brody's article @ https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2455

"MacBook Pro 13" Core 2.4, 2.8 Ghz only run Lion and later, 13" 2.3 & 2.7 can run Snow Leopard, and can 7,x and earlier Machine IDs.

MacBook Pro 15" "Late 2011"* only run Lion and later, 15" MacBook Pro "Early 2011" can run Snow Leopard, and can 7,x and earlier Machine IDs.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 & 2.5 Ghz can only run Lion and later. 2.2 & 2.3 Ghz can run Snow Leopard and earlier."

Which would suggest that any new MBP from the Apple Online Store or the physical stores will not run 10.6.

Apr 5, 2012 6:00 AM in response to Niel

The question I've never gotten a firm answer is whether or not 10.6 Server is basically 10.6 client just with server tools, or will it not support certain 10.6 compatible software or drivers? Cause you can find 10.6 Server real inexpensively, and this would be a great alternative for those wanting new hardware if indeed you could run all the 10.6 client software on it, and just ignore the overhead of extra server applications.

Can I buy a new MacBook Pro (Lion) and DOWNgrade it to Snow Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.