Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2.4GHz or 2.5GHz MacBook Pro?

Is the extra couple hundred dollars worth the extra 100MHz?

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 12:02 PM

In my opinion NO. Look at the difference in this performance test: http://www.macworld.com/article/1163307/new_macbook_pros_late_2011_feature_updat es_that_boost_performance_and_value.html

22 replies

Apr 9, 2012 12:55 PM in response to coander15

The 2.5GHz custom CPU option is not worth the extra cost for just a piddly 100MHz + 2MB of L2 cache. Under real world conditions you will never exploit that extra enough to amortize the cost. Better spend it on 16GB RAM and use the leftover for a party.

As for the divide between the 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz standard options is different, cause you get 50% more HDD room, twice the VRAM and a more powerful GPU.

All the above applies only to the 15" models. IMHO the 13"er isn't worthy of the Pro suffix. Way too many people innocently buy the thing and try to run a game or a graphics-intensive app, only to hit a brick wall with the shared memory graphics, and end up totally disappointed and feeling they have been had.

As for the 17"ers, that's heavy iron. Powerful stuff for when you have strong shoulders, big bags and intense battles to fight.

Apr 9, 2012 12:59 PM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

You guys do realize that the OP has NOT stated what model he/she is looking at. The 2.5GHz is a build to order for the 15" & 17" MacBook Pro's.

So it is, or can be. For $250 extra I wouldn't care if it was 3+Ghz CPU it is not worth that much. Got to love Apple. They know there buyers. If you configure a Mac Pro or MBP with all the options they make a TON of money on it. No wonder they have all that CASH in the bank.

Apr 9, 2012 1:05 PM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

Ah:

BS ALERT

The 2.5G is an older model, current production is the 2.2 and the 2.4, Shootist is quite correct.

Did you not post that? That is flat wrong.

Well it can be or it may not be. The early 2011 13" came with an i5 2.5. the late model came with an i5 2.4.

But as you posted I think the OP is talking about the custom choices for the 2.4 15" and 17" late 2011 models. Which you can upgrade to the 2.5. Big deal.

Apr 9, 2012 1:07 PM in response to wjosten

wjosten wrote:

Ah:

BS ALERT

The 2.5G is an older model, current production is the 2.2 and the 2.4, Shootist is quite correct.

Did you not post that? That is flat wrong.

This model (MBP 5.,4) is the only 15" MBP advertised as a 2.5G, it too has upgradeable processors for what that is worth. So, if you compare the 2.4G and the 2.5G MBP (without further specification) you are comparing a late 09 with a current machine.

2.4GHz or 2.5GHz MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.