Skip navigation

iTunes Match - 'No Music' on iPhone 4

72708 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 8:42 PM by Nicola8 RSS
1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
Argonaught Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 10, 2012 1:32 AM

I have an infuriating problem that I can't get rid of with iTunes Match.

I have had iTunes Match since launch and it worked fine on my Mac, PC, iPad and iPhone 4 for months now. But since about 3 weeks ago, my iPhone won't work at all.

When I go into Music, I see the cloud logo appear with a progress bar. After about 3-5 seconds, it disappears and shows 'No Music'. All tabs show this, except Playlists - which accuratley shows all my playlists as they are in the cloud. Going into these playlists shows the songs that are in there - some appearently downloaded, others with the cloud download button - but none will actually play.

I've restarted the phone numerous times, turned iTunes Match on and off, everything. So last night I decided to do an iCloud Backup, then I totally wiped the phone and restored from the iCloud Backup. That worked fine, and when I went into Music the cloud logo with the progess bar appeared. This stayed on for maybe 10-20 minutes this time, slowly filling up. Then it bombed out and went back to the 'No Music' message again, exactly like before the wipe & restore.

I am so fed up with not being able to use Match on my iPhone now. I hope someone out there can help!

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1
  • Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,145 points)
    Apr 10, 2012 7:44 AM (in response to Argonaught)

Hm. Definitely odd behavior. Let's try something.

Turn off iTunes Match on your iPhone, then connect it to your computer via USB and uncheck the Sync music option then do a direct sync. Once that is done power cycle the iPhone and see what you've got.

Apr 10, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to Argonaught)

Sounds like you've got it covered, and have already tried everything I would suggest. The only other suggestion I have is a bit radical. Restore your iPhone to factory condition, then set it up as a new device. Do not restore the backup.

Apr 12, 2012 10:58 AM (in response to Argonaught)

Yeah, it's a pain to do that. I've had to do it a couple of times myself.

• Nick_Golovin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 13, 2012 3:14 PM (in response to Argonaught)

Same problem here. Just turned on iTunes Match on my iPhone 4s and all the music dissapeared from the device. If you found the resolution please advise.

• mrsibex Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    May 12, 2012 2:45 PM (in response to Argonaught)

Thank you, this seems to have worked for me.  I've had to toggle 'show all' a couple of times but then all music appeared. 

• go_faustino Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    May 18, 2012 2:57 AM (in response to Argonaught)

Had the exact same problem. Deleting iTunes_control with iExplorer solved it.

It seemed to me like a corrupt library file as well. When you toggle iTunes match on and off, some trash is left behind when it should rebuild everything from new.

• newmach Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 20, 2012 6:43 AM (in response to Argonaught)

The iExplorer method worked for me as well, with a few slight modifications.

iTunes Match stopped working on my iPhone 4 (Music app would either show 'No Music' or a cloud icon w/ a blue progress bar that would barely move). Toggling iTunes Match on and off did not help, nor did syncing with iTunes on my MBP. I wanted to avoid a factory reset but I was pretty sure some core music library files were corrupted.

I determined that I did not have to delete the entire 'iTunes_Control' folder to get Match working again. I used the following process:

1. connect iPhone, open iExplorer

2. navigated to iPhone\Media\iTunes_Control\iTunes

3. copied these 3 files to my desktop:

MediaLibrary.sqllitedb

MediaLibrary.sqllitedb-shm

MediaLibrary.sqllitedb-wal

4. deleted the same 3 files from my iPhone

5. performed a hard reboot on my iPhone (home button + sleep/wake button, hold until you see the apple logo)

The reboot forced iOS to recreate the 3 MediaLibrary files. After this, I was able to turn iTunes Match on and my entire library showed up on the iPhone. I am able to redownload tracks as needed now.

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread, they were very helpful.

• cpajsb00 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 15, 2012 4:26 PM (in response to newmach)

Thanks! It helped.

• AppJunkieCanada Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 15, 2012 8:07 PM (in response to Argonaught)

Wow thanks everyone. This fixed my issue as well. I couldn't figure out why all of my iTunes Match music wasn't showing up on my iPad. It did show a few dozen albums that were downloaded to the iPad, but nothing in the iTunes Match Cloud (or whatever it's supposed to be called- Apple you made this confusing!). For about a week I've been trying everything to fix this. I rebuilt a new iTunes library on my PC, synced my iPad to the new library, tried every configuration of resetting computer / iPad and turning off iCloud, iTunes match- basically tried every combination of every toggle switch in iOS settings and iTunes PC (with a hard or soft reset inbetween every combination). I eventually figured the iPad iTunes library was corrupt after reading this post, and noticing that my iPad still showed dozens of playable albums even though when connected to iTunes, iTunes showed no music on my iPad (after turning off iCloud/match syncing and syncing directly to the iTunes library). Here's the quick four steps it took to resolve everything (except world peace I suppose):

1. Google/download/install iExplorer (free program)

2. Plug in iPad first, then open iExplorer

3. Delete the iPad\Media\iTunes_Control folder

4. Turn on iCloud/match in my iPad's iOS settings, which replaced the iPads music library with iCloud

Now everything just works as it's suppost to... will have to remember this for the future. I created my apple discussion board account just to reply to this post, say thanks, and hopefully spread the word to others in this predicament.

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (21)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.