Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combining PDFs in Preview

You used to be able to drag and drop pages from one Preview document to another. That feature is not longer available. Is there anyway to combine PDF documents into one file now?

Preview-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:31 PM

It's still there:

Mac OS X v10.6: How to combine PDF documents using Preview: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4075

Drag the thumbnail of one PDF document (source) over of the thumbnail of the other PDF document (destination) and release the mouse or trackpad button when the pointer shows a green circle with a plus symbol in it. This will copy all pages from the source PDF and add them to the end of the destination PDF.
19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2012 2:31 PM in response to mac inquiry

It's still there:

Mac OS X v10.6: How to combine PDF documents using Preview: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4075

Drag the thumbnail of one PDF document (source) over of the thumbnail of the other PDF document (destination) and release the mouse or trackpad button when the pointer shows a green circle with a plus symbol in it. This will copy all pages from the source PDF and add them to the end of the destination PDF.

Dec 18, 2013 8:39 AM in response to presto211

It actually does work in Mavericks, just as it did before. Here is the trick:

1) View thumnails of first file in Preview.

2) Drag icon of next file ABOVE NOT BELOW the faint horizontal line after the last page of the first document.

3) Continue with additional files.

4) Save

Now, the additional pdfs will be incorporated into the original file.

How it works for you all.

Jan 17, 2014 4:11 PM in response to twopennies

It looks like Preview (at least the version of Mavericks) doesn't handle PDF vs image files (eg. JPG) the same way when combining.

The drag and drop tip over or just above the thumbnail of the first file works fine for me when dealing with PDF files. The insert file method also when it is PDF files.

None of these methods are working for me when dealing with JPG files for instance.

Mar 25, 2014 5:14 PM in response to mac inquiry

I found that if I:

1. Show edit toobar - which is in View or is a button next to the search bar in Preview

This causes a small addition symbol "+" to appear in the bottom left corner of the icon menu on the left side of preview.

2. Click on the addition symbol and you'll be given three options

Insert page from scanner

Insert page from file

Insert blank page

3. Once I inserted from file (I already had the pdf) I could then save it as a single document.

The above methods always kept the documents separate and did not allow me to merge.

Combining PDFs in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.