Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto reducing file size/resolution

Hi all,

I've been using the iPhoto app for my iPad and have been loving it. It does really cool things with our pictures. However, I just ran into a huge problem. I was not aware that iPhoto has been drastically reducing the file size / resolution of all my images. When I import over to our PC , or upload directly to Dropbox the file sizes aree so small that I'd be lucky to get a printed 4x6.

Please help - is there a way around this? I really do enjoy using the app since its so user friendly, however this has me stumped!

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions!

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:48 PM

8 replies

Apr 15, 2012 5:45 PM in response to Billyates12

The only export function that maintains file size is export is to export to iTunes.

On your ipad export the photo to iTunes. Then sync your iPad with your computer. This transfers the photos from your ipad to the file sharing section of iTunes on your computer. Finally, copy your photos from iTunes on your computer to where you want them on your computer.

Apr 28, 2012 6:49 AM in response to Billyates12

Only photos imported from a camera or sd card via a Camera Connection Kit or taken by the device remain at the size they were at capture. Photos imported from your computer are downsized. So the downsize may have happened on import.

When exporting, iPhoto for iOS will downsize photos unless they are being exported to iTunes. Obviously photos that were downsized on import will not return to their original size on export to iTunes.

Provide feedback on iPhoto for iOS to Apple here

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphoto_ios.html

Apr 30, 2012 10:22 AM in response to Billyates12

Regarding exporting photos, what about if the images are uploaded to Flikr, Kodak Gallery, Shutterfly etc., assuming the online service accepts full-size images?

I am in need of new computer hardware and am considering an iPad instead of a MacBook or desktop. I know that is a larger discussion, but having my images not get squashed is a high priority for me.

Jun 24, 2012 8:26 PM in response to gobeatty

Hello. I have imported many photos through the camera connection kit. Today, I wanted to transfer these photos to a computer for editing. Since iPhoto on OS X seems to be having a problem with blacking out my images, I decided to transfer to my tried-and-true G5 running Leopard. I am using Box to do this. I can confirm that the pictures that are transferred have been reduced in size as well. Would connecting the iPad to my G5 with iTunes allow me to transfer the photos at full size and not try to re-register and resync the iPad for the new computer? Thanks in advance!

iPhoto reducing file size/resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.