Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail from known senders goes to trash

Hi,

I've had this problem for a long time. Way before upgrading to 10.7.

So much mail from people in my Address Book goes directly to trash. A real pain.

That's why I switched to Outlook for Mac. But would love to go back to Mail.

Any suggestions?

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.2), MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPod Touch

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 3:50 PM

20 replies

Apr 16, 2012 5:08 PM in response to nerowolfe

Hi nero,

Yes, I really mean trash. Isn't that weird?!

Camelot, I just reviewed and it's checked.

Any other thoughts? So frustrating because I hoped it was something gone wrong due to the OS version I was using back when I abandoned Mail 1-2 years ago. But no.

The only other thing I'm doing is selecting the option under "Message" that adds sender to address book (even though they are there already). Maybe that will help.

Added detail: most if not all of these senders are people who have been sending for a long time and who for years went to the Inbox, not Trash. They aren't new people.

Many thanks for your help and for reading.

Oct 13, 2012 8:04 AM in response to SuperbCombi

Hi Superb,

No I've never completely solved it. By the way, it happens only on my imac and not on my laptop or ipad. Just on one computer which made me think it's something in a folder or file that got corrupted. So, with feedback from mystified Apple Genius, I trashed a couple files (one was in the Preferences folder).

If you're ever at the Apple store and can chat with a genius, ask whichMail-related files could be safely disposed of to try to solve this. Don't give up on it until you try. (And don't necessarily give up on an Apple completely just because of the %$#@!! mail program.)

There are always other mail programs we can use. But Apple Mail always seemed nice and simple. More straightforward than Outlook.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Oct 13, 2012 8:21 AM in response to cestchouette

cestchouette wrote:

... By the way, it happens only on my imac and not on my laptop or ipad.

I've read this thread and and it seems to me that you've done what you can locally (i.e. you've done what you can on the imac) Meaning that you've checked all preferences, with the aid of the Apple folks you've tried removing selected files, etc.

Do you use iCloud? If so, it seems to me that you haven't implicated iCloud. Have take any steps to rule out an iCloud problem? Did this problem occur prior to using iCloud?

If you don't use iCloud, do you use the same email account on all devices?

I, myself, am not an iCloud user (yet). I'm running OS X Lion using Apple Mail 5.3 and do not experience this problem.

Oct 13, 2012 8:30 AM in response to cestchouette

cestchouette wrote:

Hey there, disguise—

Good thoughts. I did switch from mobileme to iCloud. But it happened for several years prior to iCloud's coming on the scene. And I've used just one account since the beginning. This might apply to others in this thread, however.

You had this problem when using MobileMe?

Have you ever not used MobileMe or iCloud?

Oct 13, 2012 9:15 AM in response to cestchouette

You've always used a syncing service, your problem may have started with MobileMe but you definitely have the problem using iCloud? Again, I'm not an iCloud user, BUT it sounds like an iCloud problem. I just read the Apple documentation on setting up iCloud...

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html

IT SEEMS straight forward. Let me guess - Apple automatically converted your .Mac account to a MobileMe account, and in turn, automatically converted your MobileMe account to an iCloud account. There SEEMS like a lot of moving parts to me.

I sympathize with your situation. The Apple genius seemed to think it was a local problem. I think you must return to them and force them to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. Be prepared to have a contact of yours send mail to you so that you can reproduce the problem. You must be able to reproduce the problem. Given that, don't leave the store until it's resolved.

May 9, 2013 8:49 AM in response to joearay

Hey, Joe—

Getting things into trash when I want them there seems to be pretty simple, by as you say, creating a rule. But none of the contacts/friends that always (STILL, as of this writing and after another upgrade to 10.8.3) go into Trash are part of those rules. Oh well. I've come to the conclusion that it's a function of my iMac alone because it never happens on other macs (my macbook pro & ipad).

I had hoped recently that Mail would "learn" by my moving messages from Trash to Inbox which mail should go into Inbox, but that doesn't seem to help.

I continue to also use Outlook for Mac but since I upgraded my OS, that seems to crash quite frequently.

(Maybe the good Lord thinks I'm online too much and this is a way of getting me up and outside! 😉 )

mail from known senders goes to trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.