Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s Call Volume Too Low

So all of a sudden the call volume on my iPhone 4s has dropped to just a whisper. This happened this weekend unexpectedly. I have checked the forum for similar issues but not found anything that is applicable since

A) I don't have the plastic cover on the front or anything else blocking the speaker on the front.

B) I have tried to increase the call volume while in a call without success.

C) I have had the phone for months without any call volume issues

The only solutions right now are to use an earpiece or put calls on speaker (which I can't do at work). I have tried a hard reset and that did not help. Tonight I will try a reinstall from a previous backup to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:22 AM

102 replies

Mar 16, 2017 5:45 PM in response to BodhiBelly

Reading about your problem/post above.

I'd recommend a new phone tbh, like the iPhone 5/5c/5s, reason being:

The iPhone 4s have stopped selling now, and have been dismissed by Apple. They're too out of date and many problems occur a lot on the iPhone 4/4s because their isn't much Apple / a repair guy can do anymore. I'd recommend upgrading the iPhone.

But as a result to your problem above, maybe erasing the whole phone because it might be something within the phone and someone on the phone. I honestly don't know what to say, I've never had any problems when I had the iPhone 4s.

Best of wishes, kind Regards, Tony.

May 1, 2012 5:04 AM in response to BodhiBelly

Hey! Don't panic I figured it out :-)

I know this wll sound so silly but you know what? I bet you still have the clear plastic (that came with your phone) still stuck to the front of your screen. I was having the same problem and took it off - and now I can hear people speaking perfectly fine at the normal volume. The plastic was catually covering the speaker which was why it was so muffled. If you are going to buy a case or cover for yoru phone Iwould buy one that is designed to fir your phone exactly so that none of the microphones / speakers sockets etc are covered up.

Hope that helps!

Mikaela

May 1, 2012 2:11 PM in response to mikaelamorgan

Mikaela,

Please read BodhiBelly's post. Specifically:

"A) I don't have the plastic cover on the front or anything else blocking the speaker on the front."

Unfortunately, I am having this same problem. This is actually a replacement iPhone 4s, which was given to me because I had the same issue before. This iPhone has been fine for several months, and then it just started getting lower and lower. Now, I can barely hear the caller on the other end.

So very annoying.

Please post if anyone finds the solution to this. In the meantime, it looks like I'll be visiting the Apple Store again.

May 4, 2012 1:18 AM in response to BodhiBelly

Hey guy's same problem here I have an Iphone 4S on IOS 5.1 , exact same problem's reported here Music volume is fine , in call volume is close to a whisper (yes its set to max and No i dont have a plastic cover over the speaker) i also have a few other user's around the UK with the exact same issue , The majority started to experience it after the last update they ran so i can only assume its a 5.1 issue until someone reports otherwise .

We could really do with someone from apple looking into this at the very least some suggestion's on how to attempt to fix would be nice .

ive got 30+ user's on O2 still with MMS problem's since the update to include "iMessage" on IOS 5.0 it seems to have broken MMS functionality completely on O2 I reported this in January now in May with no Fix , O2 Blame Apple , Apple say its O2 just going round in circle's.

Im less than impressed with the aftercare from Apple in honesty for such an overpriced Premium device to begin with im willing to pay that bit extra to own a superior product but i also expect a superior level of support if im expected to pay the bonker's price's for your product's that you try to justify your support should be top notch too.

iPhone 4s Call Volume Too Low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.