Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Reverting to 720p from 1080p

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a brand new 2.3Ghz Mac Mini to act as a home theatre PC which is connected to my receiver via HDMI & running Plex.

In the MAC OSX display settings I have the resolution set to 1080p & then launch Plex to watch my media & everything is fine.

The issue is whenever I turn the receiver off (Mac Mini remains on) and then come back to watch my media, the Mac Mini has automatically reverted its resolution to 720p (Plex is still open).

For the life of me I can't figure out why this is happening. Mac Mini is set to never sleep, no screen saver or other hibernation like settings are enabled, it's just got me perplexed as to why it's downscaling itself!

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I have tried SwitchResX to no avail - any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Mac mini

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 5:18 AM

5 replies

Apr 19, 2012 12:01 PM in response to Mr_MarkyMark

Hello Mark,

Seems that the Monitor must be on to communicate to the Mac that it's 1080p, I suspect that it defaults to 720p if the correct info isn't sent from the Monitor/Reciever.

Pins 15 and 16 are dedicated to the DDC (Display Data Channel), used for communicating EDID (Extended Display Identification Channel) information between devices.

http://www.hdmi.org/installers/insidehdmicable.aspx

Aug 15, 2012 11:48 AM in response to BDAqua

Seems that the Monitor must be on to communicate to the Mac that it's 1080p, I suspect that it defaults to 720p if the correct info isn't sent from the Monitor/Reciever.

I've got this problem too, it's driving me bananas.

Reverting to 720p or some other random screen resolution makes no clear sense here. There's no guarantee that your connected HDMI device will actually support that resolution either - making this decision for the user is really peculiar.

I'd get it if the behaviour was for OS X to say, "Oh hey, look, a new display, let's resize!" and do that with each event, but it just doesn't. Connecting HDMI devices via receiver is not some kind of magical weird configuration, it's super-common.

I'd kind of rate this as a massive Apple fail, except that when I posted this question on the Plex forums (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/45036-resolutions-and-receivers/) someone's suggested that a re-install fixed it. That speaks to me that there is some kind of setting that controls this behaviour, but unlocking that would be the key.

Why - really - why would you make an HDMI device with a native HDMI port that didn't play well with receivers for HDMI switching??

Jan 7, 2013 8:14 PM in response to BDAqua

That makes perfect sense. I had the problem too.

Throw an AV receiver into the mix and you have another thing that can go wrong (receiver not powered) when transporting the display properties back to the mac.

I had this problem and now I always make sure that the TV is switched on before the receiver and then mac.

No problems since I have used this procedure.

Jan 8, 2013 11:25 AM in response to John Lockwood

I think you're on it John, best explaination I've seen - thanks for that.

I fixed it in a similar vein, by simply replacing my receiver with a new one (...which I believe has 1080p as the standard output). So: there's no easy software fix, you need an upstream device to report the "correct" resolution.

It'd be nice if OS X understood and re-scanned when the device changed or was updated (as it's probably doing when the signal goes off and on...) but that might be technically complicated for a variety of reasons. As you say, get a device in the middle that sorts it, whether it's your box-o-tricks or a new receiver 🙂

Mac Mini Reverting to 720p from 1080p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.