Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forced Apple ID security questions for App store - why?

So why now when I login to go through to the App Store I am faced with a forced "ENTER ADDITIONAL SECURITY QUESTIONS NOW in case my apple ID becomes insecure and needs to be restored" with NO option to OPT OUT of the update.

It would suggest that Apple has experienced issues and cannot keep my ID secure then !!!!! ????

So IMPOSED forced updates are the way to go? Well I can tell you now, I will NOT be giving any additonal information as you already have enough of mine to restore this account and since I cannot get past this situation of forced information I can no longer purchase any apps from your store.

Did you think about how many users that will effect when you imposed the worldwide update?

Apple, are you getting it yet?

Stop trying to p*ss your global users off with non opt out forced updates.

You already keep changeing your App store terms every 2 minutes which I am forced to accept and am totally fed up with doing. Thats called NAG, NAG, NAG, NAG annoying isnt it?

Let see if your brave enough to post this message and how many complaints have you already had?

Yours sincerely

A totally fed up customer, I am off to android where I will not be pestered every 2 minutes.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:22 PM

117 replies

Apr 19, 2012 12:28 PM in response to Jetstreamflyer

I am off to android where I will not be pestered every 2 minutes.

Android may not pester you every two minutes, but you will be the one doing the pestering if you make rant posts like this on THEIR forums!

Let see if your brave enough to post this message and how many complaints have you already had?

Yep. It's posted! Now I wonder how long until it gets deleted on account of your ranting.

Apr 21, 2012 10:53 AM in response to Jetstreamflyer

I don't recall ever being this disappointed in an Apple product.

For one of the forced questions, I literally had no answer for any of the options. Hopefully keeping control of my account (on which I've spent a lot of money) doesn't rely on me needing to remember the answer I gave.

I get it, you don't trust your users to keep their passwords secure, but in the past, at least you've let us write our own questions.

Apr 21, 2012 4:07 PM in response to Jetstreamflyer

It isn't nagging, it is new contracts that Apple has entered into for additional content in the iTunes and Mac App Stores. Apple has to agree to the content owner's requirements to be able to distribute the content and you have to agree to it in order to use the stores and to receive the content. If you cannot comply, then no, Apple is certainly not the content provider that you should be using.

If you cannot remember the actual answer to any of these questions then perhaps you are not who you say you are. Most folks easily remember their first teacher, the first car purchase, where their parents met and what they did to celebrate the new millennium.

Apr 22, 2012 4:35 AM in response to Dah•veed

And there in lies the problem .... "MOST FOLKS" not everyone. Thats the whole point of this the disabled have problems answering these questions. People who do not have an american style culture have problems. A simple decide your own question would solve this issue for many.

MOST FOLKS isn't all itunes users.

Their preset questions are an barrier to all those that dont want too disclose or cannot answer these questions. Even the bank allows you to make up your own security question should none of thiers be relivant.

And I doubt content providers require further information. I love to see what evidence you have to support that theory.

<Edited by Host>

Apr 22, 2012 7:06 AM in response to Dah•veed

As other comments have said - depends on who counts as most people (I would struggle to remember any of my teachers, I left school several decades ago, I have never driven, let alone owned a car). I'm probably not the only person who has saved their answers in their favourite note taking application on their iOS device.

How secure is that (similarly there is excellent research that shows the more constraints you put on peoples passwords or their need to change these frequently the more likely they are to writhe them down -as an IT support guy I usually looked for a post-it under the pen tray in the top draw of the desk - kept unlocked of course - sound familiar?).

Apr 22, 2012 7:59 AM in response to FrozenOxygen

People who do not have an american style culture have problems.

First off, I am from a different culture. I am not a Statesonian and am not enculturated to the USA or Canada. I have no issues.

And I doubt content providers require further information. I love to see what evidence you have to support that theory.

Second, that isn't a theory that I suggested. My comment was directed at the OP, who complained about a number of things, one being that he had to agree to a new Terms of Use for the content often. You can be sure that if Apple has to legally agree to the content owner's Terms, Apple is going to require us to agree to the Terms as well.

Bottom line, if the experience is not to your satisfaction, then shop elsewhere. You haven't been hogtied and forced to shop with Apple. The world is your oyster!

Apr 22, 2012 8:07 AM in response to Dah•veed

In response to:

If you cannot remember the actual answer to any of these questions then perhaps you are not who you say you are. Most folks easily remember their first teacher, the first car purchase, where their parents met and what they did to celebrate the new millennium.

The problem is that it's not possible to remember the answers to questions which are not relevant.

The choice of questions is extremely limited. There is no obvious way (or any way at all?) to set our own questions. Worse, I do have my own personal question set up for My Apple ID under "Password and Security" when I login via the web interface, but there apparently is no way to use these security questions from my iPhone. Not to mention rolling out a change like this with no warning to users. It affects everything realted to App Store from iOS devices and there's no way around it.

This is an EPIC FAIL by Apple and I disagree with anyone who attempts to defend Apple's decision regarding this. Apple needs to fix this ASAP.

Forced Apple ID security questions for App store - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.