Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Sync stuck at step 2: Backup.. After updating itunes to 10.6.1

I have a iPhone 4 for over a year now and have never had ne problems. But after the last update of itunes to v10.6.1.7 each time I sync my phone with my pc the sync process hangs on step 2: backup.

I have read a lot of forums and have tried everything. i have even tried formatting my pc and install everything from scratch but nothing seems to work.

PLS HELP..

iPhone 4, Windows XP, iTunes 10.6.1.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 9:48 PM

17 replies

Apr 19, 2012 9:57 PM in response to hsodhi

Close your iTunes,

Go to command Prompt -

(Win 7/Vista) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES, right mouse click "Command Prompt", choose "Run as Administrator".

(Win XP SP2 & above) - START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/Command Prompt

In the "Command Prompt" screen, type in

netsh winsock reset

Hit "ENTER" key

Restart your computer.

If you do get a prompt after restart windows to remap LSP, just click NO.

Now launch your iTunes, Sync and see if it is working now.

If you are still having these type of problems after trying the winsock reset, refer to this article to identify which software in your system is inserting LSP:

iTunes 10.5 for Windows: May see performance issues and blank iTunes Store

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4123?viewlocale=en_US

Apr 19, 2012 10:52 PM in response to hsodhi

Since you had to force end process whilst backing up, I would think your backup folder and files might be corrupted.

Go to this location to delete your backup folder (folder name contains 40alpha numerics e.g.

7c67e6a6537b50de27c08fdc8c68d8dc302e04ff)

Windows XPC:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Do a netsh winsock reset again. After restarting windows, sync again. Bear in mind it's a new backup so the backup process may take a longer time. So be patient and let it run for hours and see it will work this time.

iPhone Sync stuck at step 2: Backup.. After updating itunes to 10.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.